Possible failed potato growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was trying to grow potatoes from a potato that I got. The one half is doing just fine, and the other one, some time ago, the water was very murky and white/clouded. It also smelled really bad. As I emptied it, there was a big strand of goo, and there was a hole in the bottom of it. I let it dry out for a day, then added more water, but it still doesn't look/smell good. Is there any way to revive it, or do I need to dispose of it? How can I prevent this in the future? Do I just need to change the water daily?
Link: https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Potatoes-Indoors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post a photo of the growing conditions.

Are you trying to grow this potato (Solanum tuberosum) in water? This can often be done for awhile as a science experiment or as a short-term houseplant, but in the long-term the plant is not likely to flourish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure! Please see attached.
I should probably transfer the good one and plant it.
IMG_20220307_094047.jpg
IMG_20220307_094034.jpg
IMG_20220307_094020.jpg

The good one is on the right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that would be the best option, especially if you are trying to grow a crop.
Their are hydroponic and aeroponic methods of growing potatoes, but they require special equipment and set-up, and even those don't involve keeping the potato in water constantly.

Ask a Question