Is it possible

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Scrumpy, welcome to the Forum.

Yes, generally speaking, one could certainly plant fruit trees at the edge of the field.

Of course actual success will depend on numerous variables that have not yet even been mentioned.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello thank you for your quick response. I was thinking of planting 50 to 100 trees types I was thinking of are for Cider and Perry production. Dabinett, Kingston Black,Foxwhelp,Brown Snout, Northern Spy and Tom Putt I'm looking for a range of flavour and high crop

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like a wonderful project. Of course it will require a good deal of site-specific planning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With your amount of winter chilling, you can grow a wide variety of temperate fruit and nut trees. Remember that the major fruit crops have had many cultivars selected to produce well in a wide variety of climates. Besides the fruiting scion cultivars, there are also rootstock cultivars adapted to different soil types. The best thing for you to do now is to get specific local information from nearby nurseries, fruit growers, garden clubs, and possibly the NI Agriculture department.

A few more thoughts that cross my mind: For best production fruit trees will need to be planted in full sun and I presume that will be the case at the edge of field. Unlike me, you live in a climate with year-round rain but you should consider an irrigation plan in case of drought, especially when the trees are small. That might not be a worry, but with climate change anything may be possible.

Last edited:

Ask a Question