Possible soil deficiency? Yellow tips on tomato leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I’m new to these forums and am looking for some advice about my tomatoes.

I have two beds, same amount of water and sun, and one bed is doing totally fine. One bed, however is struggling.

I’ve attached some photos. I planted tomatoes in this spot last year, so I’m wondering if that’s causing issue. One plant has yellowing between the veins on its leaves. The rest are suffering from leaf curl (upwards) are are generally pretty small with slow growth. They are getting good water. I amended the bed with compost at the start of the season. Fertilized with seaweed mixture yesterday.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance :)
480F2FC4-5086-4883-BBE5-D7BB67100B65.jpeg
B9852A32-36C2-4E38-8755-3569693DFE9A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have a case of iron chlorosis due to alkaline soil pH. I have alkaline soil too, and I amend my soil with peat moss every spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! I’m new to these forums and am looking for some advice about my tomatoes.

I have two beds, same amount of water and sun, and one bed is doing totally fine. One bed, however is struggling.

I’ve attached some photos. I planted tomatoes in this spot last year, so I’m wondering if that’s causing issue. One plant has yellowing between the veins on its leaves. The rest are suffering from leaf curl (upwards) are are generally pretty small with slow growth. They are getting good water. I amended the bed with compost at the start of the season. Fertilized with seaweed mixture yesterday.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance :) View attachment 66164View attachment 66165
@oneeye is correct in saying iron chlorosis. To correct what has happened apply Chelated Iron as directed. The curing of the tomato leaves is probably a varietal issue and an environmental issue. This upward leaf curling usually happens to cherry and small fruited tomatoes and is caused mainly by dramatic changes in humidity and temperature. It affects indeterminate tomatoes more than determinates. It looks bad but very little if any production is affected in most cases. Sometimes the plant will curl its leaves and keep its leaves curled and other times it will curl for a few days and then uncurl. AFAIK there is nothing you can do about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have a case of iron chlorosis due to alkaline soil pH. I have alkaline soil too, and I amend my soil with peat moss every spring.
Thank you for your helpful response! I will keep that in mind for next spring and in the meantime apply chelated iron to help the situation. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out

Reaction score
Country
United States
@oneeye is correct in saying iron chlorosis. To correct what has happened apply Chelated Iron as directed. The curing of the tomato leaves is probably a varietal issue and an environmental issue. This upward leaf curling usually happens to cherry and small fruited tomatoes and is caused mainly by dramatic changes in humidity and temperature. It affects indeterminate tomatoes more than determinates. It looks bad but very little if any production is affected in most cases. Sometimes the plant will curl its leaves and keep its leaves curled and other times it will curl for a few days and then uncurl. AFAIK there is nothing you can do about it.

Very good to know! I’ve purchased chelated iron and can’t wait to get it on there. I had given up hope on these but now have a lot more faith in them pulling through :) also glad to know the leaf curl is worse than it looks. We have had some very mixed weather from one day to the next here in the PNW so it makes sense.
Thanks so much for your expertise!

Ask a Question