Need advice on tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I planted my first tomato plants a couple of weeks ago, but I got the cart before the horse. I put Big Boy plants into containers and then did some research. I learned the difference between determinate and indeterminate varieties and that indeterminate types are not so good in containers. Should I replant them into the ground before they get too large or will they do okay in the buckets? I'm concerned that transplanting them will harm them, but will leaving in the containers be worse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted my first tomato plants a couple of weeks ago, but I got the cart before the horse. I put Big Boy plants into containers and then did some research. I learned the difference between determinate and indeterminate varieties and that indeterminate types are not so good in containers. Should I replant them into the ground before they get too large or will they do okay in the buckets? I'm concerned that transplanting them will harm them, but will leaving in the containers be worse?
You can grow indeterminates in a container IF the container is large enough. A 5 gallon bucket is actually a little small for them but will do OK if you stake them and figure out a way to keep them from being blown over. If it were me though, I would transplant them ASAP. Get a shovel and try not to disturb the roots, at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know I did big boy in a relatively small container last year and it did just fine. I paired it with oregano, which never got enough sunlight to grow properly, but the tomatoes were great.

Main issue was staking and tying them down. As the plant and fruit go big, it was very difficult to rig ways to keep the stems up without dumping the entire container. Eventually I started affixing the plants arms with twine attached to my porch. It got really messy and pretty ugly, but the tomatoes thrived.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They will be fine in buckets. Okay the tomato plant below doesn't look that healthy that's because it was an outside variety and was suffering in my greenhouse. I grow most of mine inside because of the climate here and I don't have soil in the greenhouse because it has to be bolted down to a base. As long as you feed them regularly and keep them watered they will be okay.

Manx Marvel.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks to all of you for your view. The picture was especially helpful, Sheal. I think I'll keep them in the bucket and learn as I go.

Ask a Question