Snake Plant help and advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I’m new here and hope I can get some help.

My elderly aunt passed down to my sisters and me snake plants that came from a plant my Great Grandmother started. Theirs are doing fine, but my leaves are all too skinny now to support the weight of the leaves. I don’t want to be the generation that kills this legacy plant. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

D8F846EF-6707-43BA-B681-E8E2A0081466.jpeg

Thanks in advance, Jo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow JoJo. I inherited my mother's snake plants in a similar condition, except taller even, skinny, and just not looking great. But, they are among my most treasured plants for obvious reasons. What I did was separate any babies and young pieces capable of standing on their own. Into several nursery pots they went. After seeing how little the large pieces had to work with beneath the soil, I told myself the young pieces were great, mom would be super proud of my efforts, and I chose to let the long heavy pieces, think 3 feet and over, go. I know it is scary. And if you can't, then do not do it. It has been a year, and they have grown, they are self supporting, but I am not certain if they will ever look like "normal" snake plants. And I do not care. And neither will you. Perhaps when these plants have babies they will look normal. If not, I propose we petition for a new subspecies. Haha.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some snake plant that are very skinny and disappointing. I gave a plant to the boy I used to be NANNY for and his leaves are twice as wide and is thriving on neglect .....so that is my game plan going forward

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Even as tough as they are, Sansevierias can get a little funky looking if grown in very low light for extended periods. You might try putting it somewhere brighter and maybe fertilize it. DO NOT REPOT IT! The pot it's in is already too big for the size of the plant. You could put it in a smaller pot by removing some soil as long as you don't beat up on the roots in the process. When you're done, put it in a brighter spot and be patient. They don't die fast(unless you drown them) but they don't respond to better conditions fast, either.

Ask a Question