Garden snakes

Jed

Reaction score
I was in my garlic patch today, brush cutting the grass path when a tiger snake entered the garden through the chicken wire netting that surrounds the garden. At first I thought it was cranky because it came ever so close but it continued on its way through the other side of the garden mesh. It slid under a pile of corrugated iron I have stored, so I thought maybe it would be easy to catch if I lifted the iron and use my Raptor snake catching stick.
Unfortunately it had slid down a hole and was not retrievable. I need to catch snakes on a regular basis and relocate them as they can be a bit of a nuisance in the garden area.
Does anyone else have garden snake problems?

download (1).jpg

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my area, we don't have too many snakes. Actually, I've seen only one in my garden so far. I was weeding, I had many strawberries back then... and suddenly, I noticed a snake!:eek: I was terrified, I thought I'll have a heart attack and I ran away, screaming. Right now this memory seems rather funny:p The snake was probably very scared too.

Jed

Reaction score
In my area, we don't have too many snakes. Actually, I've seen only one in my garden so far. I was weeding, I had many strawberries back then... and suddenly, I noticed a snake!:eek: I was terrified, I thought I'll have a heart attack and I ran away, screaming. Right now this memory seems rather funny:p The snake was probably very scared too.
What type of snakes are in your part of the world?

I guess depending on what snake they are most are very timid and would prefer not to come into contact with us galoofs. They are also deaf and can only pick up on vibration so if you are sitting weeding in the garden they can come right up to you. There lays the problem of having an accident by standing on one or shoving your hand in their face.They generally not out to get you. Dogs and cats can make the mistake of playing with them . I think though cats are better at handling a bite then a dog.

Reaction score
I am generally not afraid of insects and reptiles.. but snakes are one thing I avoid.. having my little garden high up on the balcony .. I don't have to fear snakes.. But my fathers garden used to be infested with green snakes.. but they never harmed anyone and we kind of coexisted.. peacefully.. we did not disturb them and they did not trouble us..
I have heard people saying that certain plants keep snakes at bay.. So my father used to have a couple of those strong smelling plant and we didn't find any later.

Reaction score
I have found snakes, one in my orchard hiding in the tall cool grass that I was hand picking for my bunnies, bout soiled my britches! We have rattle snakes, bull snakes, water snakes,butter boa's, to name a few.

Jed

Reaction score
I have found snakes, one in my orchard hiding in the tall cool grass that I was hand picking for my bunnies, bout soiled my britches! We have rattle snakes, bull snakes, water snakes,butter boa's, to name a few.
Do you remove them from your garden? Snakes here are protected species so the only way around is to catch them and relocate. I did a short snake handling course and bought one of those marvellous snake sticks.

You certainly have a few about your property.I reckon getting bitten on the hand would be the pits so it's necessary to be ever vigilant in snake season.
Our tiger snake is incredibly venomous but it is very shy and will get away once it knows you are around. The difficulty is snakes cant't hear you so the quieter you are the easier it is to step on one.

Reaction score
I rarely see snakes where I used to live. What I see more often are monitor lizards. Big ones, too. Anything from two feet up. They usually come around when the chickens have just hatched. Looking for a quick meal, I suppose.

Reaction score
We live on the edge of a lava rock desert, we have irrigation going all the time so we find lots of critters.. I don't mess with them but my husband will move them if he is home. I usually just try to keep everything short so I can see them.

Jed

Reaction score
I rarely see snakes where I used to live. What I see more often are monitor lizards. Big ones, too. Anything from two feet up. They usually come around when the chickens have just hatched. Looking for a quick meal, I suppose.
Those monitor lizards can give a nasty bite I bet. Not as scary as snakes but worth avoiding and moving on.
We have a smaller type of lizard the blue tongue which of all things loves strawberries.
We live on the edge of a lava rock desert, we have irrigation going all the time so we find lots of critters.. I don't mess with them but my husband will move them if he is home. I usually just try to keep everything short so I can see them.
Avoiding an accident and being vigilant is necessary if you don't want to spoil your day. I'm always concerned for my pooch which has so far avoided being bitten. I've lost one dog to snake bite many years ago.
Interesting though that some of us have wildlife gardens.

Reaction score
It sure is hard to live on your place since you guys are always at a risk of getting bitten. I know that snake bites can become pretty nasty to the point that they can kill you within minutes. I guess I'm lucky that there aren't any venomous snakes living here on my country otherwise I might risk getting bitten because if they ever decide to come into my garden.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Only 3 types in Britain, Adder, Smooth & Grass snake. Only the Adder is poisonous, but bites are a rareity.

Saw a Grass snake during the summer.

PICT0022.jpg

We get Slow Worms in the garden, they look like snakes but are legless Lizards. Cats keep catching them though:(

Jed

Reaction score
Only 3 types in Britain, Adder, Smooth & Grass snake. Only the Adder is poisonous, but bites are a rarity.
Saw a Grass snake during the summer.
We get Slow Worms in the garden, they look like snakes but are legless Lizards. Cats keep catching them though:(
I remember some years ago a gardener in her front garden happily showed me a legless lizard she had killed thinking it was a snake.Mistakes are easily made.
The grass snake primarily inhabits grassed areas?

Today I found my first ever snake skin in the garden. It's a 4 foot 6 inch complete tiger snake skin. Generally they fall apart and are blown away by the wind. It used a fern and some sticks to get out of its old garment and would now have a shiny black new one.:eek: Not looking forward to saying hello to this one.

154442_478585548859975_1744525219_n.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool,

Yep, grass snakes like waste ground & sandunes, the Adders prefer rockier ground.

Used to love lifting up old tin sheets on waste ground, see what was warming itself up under there.

Jed

Reaction score
Cool,

Yep, grass snakes like waste ground & sandunes, the Adders prefer rockier ground.

Used to love lifting up old tin sheets on waste ground, see what was warming itself up under there.
No doubt you had the technique lifting the sheets of iron away from you.
One year I found two snakes under one sheet and managed to catch both. I'm still very nervous and cautious though.
I'm surprised of the number of snakes in England as Ireland doesn't have any.
Gardening must be easier without considering where you put your hands. I do wear leather gloves so have some protection. Just. :confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got used to picking up rocks from above when I was working in Turkey, in case of Scorpions.

There aren't that many snakes in England, its an event when we see one.

Ask a Question