Snake in my oven

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
This happened yesterday. I was gonna make cookies. I opened the oven to get the tray and preheat it and a snake falls from somewhere into the oven! I am not used to seeing snakes because we don't have them in Barcelona. I know we have rattle snakes, copper heads, and other venomous snakes here in Texas, but I had never had to deal with one before. I closed the oven door and he started going from the oven into the drawer under the oven, and sticking it's head out...I was freaking out.
I wasn't sure if it was venomous or not because I didn't have much time to look at it. From the colors (ivory and orange (or light brown) I didn't think it was venomous, but I don't know if it was an albino, venomous snake either!
I called Emmett (hubby) at work (I never do, but I thought this was sort of an emergency) and I got his voice mail. I called his cousin because he works for animal control, and I got his voice mail. I called the landlord (whose business is behind our backyard) and guess what...I got his voice mail. So I called my parents in Barcelona (yeah, as if they could come help me hahaha). The cell phone would not connect the call.
I finally got Emmett on the phone and he was giving me some advice like stomp on it (yeah right, like I'm gonna get that close to a snake hahaha!) and his cousin called me and told me he was too far to come help me and suggested I called the deputy, but the landlord finally answered the phone and came to the house (he's a very nice landlord) and grabbed it for me. It wasn't venomous so he released him back to the wild. I'm glad I didn't decide to shoot the dang thing.

Here's the snake. You'll notice my landlord does not have a Texan accent at all. He's British :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This happened yesterday. I was gonna make cookies. I opened the oven to get the tray and preheat it and a snake falls from somewhere into the oven! I am not used to seeing snakes because we don't have them in Barcelona. I know we have rattle snakes, copper heads, and other venomous snakes here in Texas, but I had never had to deal with one before. I closed the oven door and he started going from the oven into the drawer under the oven, and sticking it's head out...I was freaking out.
I wasn't sure if it was venomous or not because I didn't have much time to look at it. From the colors (ivory and orange (or light brown) I didn't think it was venomous, but I don't know if it was an albino, venomous snake either!
I called Emmett (hubby) at work (I never do, but I thought this was sort of an emergency) and I got his voice mail. I called his cousin because he works for animal control, and I got his voice mail. I called the landlord (whose business is behind our backyard) and guess what...I got his voice mail. So I called my parents in Barcelona (yeah, as if they could come help me hahaha). The cell phone would not connect the call.
I finally got Emmett on the phone and he was giving me some advice like stomp on it (yeah right, like I'm gonna get that close to a snake hahaha!) and his cousin called me and told me he was too far to come help me and suggested I called the deputy, but the landlord finally answered the phone and came to the house (he's a very nice landlord) and grabbed it for me. It wasn't venomous so he released him back to the wild. I'm glad I didn't decide to shoot the dang thing.

Here's the snake. You'll notice my landlord does not have a Texan accent at all. He's British :)
I think that is about the funniest thing I have heard in a coon's age. Why don't you call up Ray Wiley Hubbard? I can see a country western song in this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the info, Chuck :eek:
I hope they don't eat my frogs :(
They won't eat the toads I don't think, but they will gobble up any leopard frogs, mice, rats, lizards, insects and even other snakes that they come across. I had a big one living in one of my sheds for years but I think he finally died. He was close to 6 feet long. They are great to have around and you can actually buy them in pet stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha..with today technology, we should have an app for this kind of thing. One click and we can zap the snake (or other unwanted animals away)! Seriously though, I would just leave the house pronto!

Reaction score
Lol, omg... this is both funny and horrific! If it was my mom she'd be having a hart attack on the spot, you faced all this in a very brave way! Me and my mom have this thing for snakes, some sort of phobia. So glad this has never happened to us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I couldn't leave the house! I was watching the stove all the time to make sure I knew where the snake was. If I had left and the snake had moved, then I wouldn't know where it was LOL!
My cat was sleeping on the couch, 10 feet from the stove, and she never knew there was a snake in the house. I grabbed her, put her in front of the stove, she started yawning and then she asked to go out.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What an experience, I am glad it worked out that the snake is not harmful. I would have just left and may not have gone back in for some time. I am very afraid of snakes.

Reaction score
I couldn't leave the house! I was watching the stove all the time to make sure I knew where the snake was. If I had left and the snake had moved, then I wouldn't know where it was LOL!
My cat was sleeping on the couch, 10 feet from the stove, and she never knew there was a snake in the house. I grabbed her, put her in front of the stove, she started yawning and then she asked to go out.

Yeah, I guess I'd have ignored my survival instinct as well and instead stayed there watching over the snake, since thinking of it hiding somewhere like for example under the covers would have for sure given me a heart attack! I'm glad things turn out well for you guys, if I ever encounter a snake in y oven I'll make sure not to run, because it can hide somewhere else and give us a heart attack. You made a hell of a good point, lol.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, had a slow worm under the bed before, but not a snake...

Ask a Question