Transplanting snake plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two pots that are just loaded with these plants. I'm needing/wanting to make more pots of them, can I use my old potting soil that I grew vegetables in to transplant them? The soil was fertilized 3 to 4 times during Summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
20181219_134206.jpg
These are the two plants, bought them about 6 months ago, I've only watered them 4 to 5 times in that period. It seems they do better when watered less.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just reading on line that they needed cactus type soil? I read that you have to add perlite and/or sand to soil.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can assure you any soil will be fine. Sometimes, shops sell them in coir and the plant barely stands up properly and it lives. When I watched videos, I saw clay like lumps and horrible soil. UK's RHS suggests sand. I would say you can use you old soil, but as @Silentrunning said, sterilise it first. As long as there is warmth and indirect sunlight, they will show roots in 30 days!

Have a look on youtube and you will find out there are so many versions of composts. Good luck! Very good plants for your house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
To give an idea how hardy these plants are I dug up dozens of them and threw them in my junk pile behind my workshop. The next year I found that not only had most of them lived but there were hundreds of small plants growing among them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To give an idea how hardy these plants are I dug up dozens of them and threw them in my junk pile behind my workshop. The next year I found that not only had most of them lived but there were hundreds of small plants growing among them.

You could sell them - displaying the sign - rare plant which gives out oxygen at night. A cheap organic purifier! Trust me - you really could make money out of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey thanks, how do I sterilize the soil? Ya, I bought them on the assumption that I might have a chance to sell some.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long will it take in full sun when it's 50 to 60 degrees out? The dirt I'd be using has already been outside in a 25 gallon round water (plastic) container. Could I just skim top layer off and do the rest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How long will it take in full sun when it's 50 to 60 degrees out? The dirt I'd be using has already been outside in a 25 gallon round water (plastic) container. Could I just skim top layer off and do the rest?
That all depends on how big a fire you have and you can't use a plastic container over a fire. The outside temperature or sunshine doesn't matter. Some folks do smaller amounts of soil in their kitchen oven.

Ask a Question