I need advice on separating and transplanting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I live in Connecticut - zone 6. A few years ago I planted a major Wheeler honeysuckle. It has been doing great and has become a hummingbird Magnet in the summer. I’m thinking of transplanting some of it. Does anyone know if it is okay to do that in the fall? I also want to transplant/divide some Coneflowers/echinacea. Both of these plants seem pretty indestructible, but I’d like some advice anyway.

Thanks,
DiMart

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DiMart, I Think Echinacaes would be fine Dividing( Splitting ) The honeysuckle Id think best to take a Cutting unless an Divide looks possible. But I'd think a Cutting would take and grow easy(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I have done cutting with honeysuckle and some was successful :) I too would recommend cuttings, layering is viable also. My first year with Coneflowers/Echinacea so I'm in the same boat. I started mine as seed, but as a perineal I would think cuttings or division as doable.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also have separated a bunch of echinacea purpurea and they split very easily and they are very healthy. It's their 2nd year now and they are about 4 foot tall. I have now about 6 to 8 plants. It's just a matter of planting them where they are happiest.

Ask a Question