Need peach-pruning advice! (photos)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted an Elberta peach tree in spring of 2017. It was much smaller then - about 4 ft. tall and probably not much over 1/2" in diameter. It grew well last year but this year it has really taken off! It's now at least 8 feet tall (and putting on height fast) and is probably 2" in diameter at the base. (Augusta, GA, by the way.)

6jAmx7p.jpg

I pruned it shortly before this spring, doing my best to select what could serve as 4 limbs of an open-vase structure. But, as you can see, one of the lower branches not only became *extremely* vigorous, it has also grown at a fairly steep angle to the main upright.

2fxx6yO.jpg

If the low, steep crotch is ultimately going to have to go - since it might eventually split the tree once it's all larger and bearing fruit - would it be better to go ahead and take it off NOW so the tree can devote what remains of the growing season to putting more size on the main upright and laterals?

Or would it be better to leave it for now and let the tree get through this entire growing season before pruning again? That branch that forms the right side of the steep crotch is the most vigorous part of the plant right now - although it's growing all over.

Also, I've left two fruits on the tree at this point. Should I take them off before they grow any further?

I'm a first timer at this, so I'd appreciate any other advice for pruning any experienced peach growers would care to offer! Here's one more photo, in case it's helpful. And THANKS for reading!

OvKlNM4.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look here please

I am not sure this is the time to prune it though

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am really confused by this tree. The branch leaning to the right looks as if it could have been grafted on. If you look closely at the base it looks like there is a second graft that was cut off and now has suckers coming out of it. For right now I would leave the tree alone. You could cut off some of the suckers if you wanted to.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with Silentrunning! Some of the cross branches should be removed as they are growing towards the INSIDE of the plant. One rule of thumb is that you trim off all cross branches which will rub against each other. Secondly, remove the suckers, 3) Prune diseased branches 4) prune it so that a pigeon can fly through it. This helps air circulation and prevents disease. The green bits that you want to keep - I don't think this is a good time to prune them. You have to find out fruit for next year will grow on which bit of branches and trim them at the right time.

By all means remove the stems growing inwards toward the core of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am really confused by this tree. The branch leaning to the right looks as if it could have been grafted on. If you look closely at the base it looks like there is a second graft that was cut off and now has suckers coming out of it. For right now I would leave the tree alone. You could cut off some of the suckers if you wanted to.
Glad I'm not the only one who's confused! But I DO know that there are no grafts. I bought the tree from the nursery last year and it had one graft joint where the root stock was grafted - but it's not very apparent due to the angle of these photos. Otherwise, there have been no grafts... just subsequent growth.

Does "suckers" refer to ALL the small young green branches, or just the ones coming out of previous cuts?

Thanks for your reply!

Reaction score
Country
United States
alp, those videos were helpful, especially the first two. Thank you!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi N.V.

The suckers (circled) and those circled can go as they are growing inward.

Untitled-1.jpg

The others you might have to google when and how to trim them as if you make a mistake, you might have no fruit next year. If you keep them, it will take away nutrients and your plants might have bugs if the air circulation is not good enough. You want to concentrate the energy on making flower and fruits next year.

Ask a Question