Pathway Help Needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
First let me show you what I am up against then I'll post my questions.

30194715767_e1975a13b2_b.jpg

This is one part of the yard that I have never been happy with, the garden path to the playhouse.
This path also has a secondary function. During heavier rains the water runs down this path to the yard drain, so putting down a mulch or wood chips is out. I definitely want to work on this project early spring.

I thought of a crushed stone but dont want it to get all over the yard and fight stuff growing up through the crushed stone and walking stones, plus I want to keep it more Permaculture friendly.

I tried white clover but it did not do well.
I was very interested in a extremely low ground cover like moss but not sure if moss would do good in this area.
The area gets a lot of water and and sun from early noon till end of day.
The dogs may occasionally pee on it too...dam dogs
I am in Zone 7a

It doesn't need to be an edible or flowering but those would definitely be bonuses, especially if it flowered.

I like this look

54eaf1fbd8a83_-_clx050109_090_1_2-de.jpg

I checked out Steppables.com but want advice from you folks.

Steppables

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi SQWIB i'm new like yourself and this picture looks lovely how it's done...our garden is slabbed in two different colours done by my hubby and worked out better for we in the 10yrs we've been here.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@SQWIB why not get some large coloured stepping slates and alternate them in size and add coloured pea gravel if it's just for that area :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would suggest something called Goggin?? Some aggregrate which will let the water drain and yet keep the path safe and dry. It's yellow in colour, you can plant something creepy yellow or white to soften the edges. I have seen very understated planting of green on white which is creepy plant going into the white slab. Just two colours but very minimal and sophisticated. I myself am allergic to chamomile as they self seeded everywhere! If you have bigger slabs, mind your own business can look very good. But if they wander and want to mind others' businesses, don't blame me! LOL!

Or something like this, but bigger slabs look more impressive and bold and much better than mousy little rock fragments

images

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you seen Garden Rescue, @Gail_68 ? The Rich brothers used different texture to make the path area. Their finish is not that great, but full of ideas and imagination.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Their finish is not that great
I've seen them twice and like you say not a great finish but for two young chaps they're giving people out looks to how their gardens are possible plus I watch Alan tichmarsh over my spec's while reading :ROFLMAO:

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been looking myself at drainage pathways and you can beat gravel with slabs and if you wanted to make extra sure you good always add drainage grids along the edging in black.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think you need hoggin - an aggregate which allows water to drain and yet provides a compact walking surface.

Hoggin is a compactable groundcover that is composed of a mixture of clay, gravel, and sand or granite dust that produces a buff-coloured bound surface. It is more commonly seen in the south of England and at National Trust properties. ... The larger rocks provide a firm base for the hoggin, and improved drainage.

BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Build a hoggin path

www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/gardenstructure_hogginpath1.shtml

Construct an attractive and hard-wearing hoggin path using our step-by-step guide. ... Hoggin is a a mix of gravel, sand and clay that binds firmly when compacted, yet allows water to drain through it. ... Flexible metal edging for paths can be bought in various builders merchants and ...
upload_2018-11-13_6-41-48.jpeg

Ask a Question