Need advice with garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently decided to "try" and attack the garden it has been overgrown with brambles and a lot of other weeds for ages.

I am looking for the best way to "reset" the garden back to a just grass thing, I have a 2 yr old and I would like to put a slide and swing on the grass and ensure he can run around on it. :)

I have started to use a Brush Cutter to cut most of the brambles down to size with still some left at the back which you can see in the image.

I thought about 3 options :

1: Hire a excavator and driver to scrape all the old grass off the surface and then walk around and try to dig out the weeds.

2: Hire a rotavator and then follow up with the spade to dig out the roots.

3: Dig it all over by hand.

Not sure which is the most effective and easiest way, As I would be doing this mostly alone and it looks very daunting due to the size of the garden.

Many thanks all!

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

A lot depends on your budget.

This looks as if it was once a lawn with borders. It might be worth trying to get it back to that. Some of what we can see on the right look like shrubs that have just never been pruned back but might be worth saving and just need identifying and pruning.

Are those trees at the bottom in your garden? They must block out a lot of light at some time in the day.

Depending on what sort of brush cutter you're using, I'd carry on if you can and get as much cleared with that before doing anything else. You might need a skip for all the debris.

You could then just rotavate where you want the lawn. Get it level remove any roots and have it turfed.
That would give you the use of it this year. You could then tackle the rest piecemeal.
A plus point is that the fences look OK. They're usual a major expense in a garden.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @Shabalaka !

If I were you, I would get quotes and hire someone or someone from horticultural college to do it up, especially when you have a 2 year old. Make sure you don't pay by day rate though. It's a huge job. Get some quotes and have it done nicely as it will add to the value of your house! Or draft a plan which is future proof so that you child can still enjoy it when he/she is a bit older. Or you could just level it and do the rest yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the replies i will continue with the brush cutter and then see how much to get someone to level and turf it

Ask a Question