Newcomer to gardening; needs advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. As the title suggest I am a complete newcomer to gardening, with no previous experience with it. I came on this forum to see if you can perhaps give me advice, or books and video suggestions that can give me said advice. I'm currently focusing on the prices of: seeds, soil and fertilizer's. along with: gardening methods and pest prevention. Any help and suggestions are encouraged.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great to have you here! There is certainly lot to learn about gardening, but it's a great hobby. Do you have a garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great to have you here! There is certainly lot to learn about gardening, but it's a great hobby. Do you have a garden?
No, i am going to be moving from my apartment to a house with a backyard soon. I'm just trying to get preparations in place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I would suggest that you plant something that does not need much care. If your plan is vegetables, maybe you can try moringa because it is a sturdy plant and needs only water. It grows fast when the seedling is settled on the ground. For flowering plants, you can ask the seed store for sturdy plants. Avoid roses this time because they are for the real gardeners.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
First of all, farming is a business like any other and the general principles of enterpreneurship apply. Start with the product, what you intend to grow and assess the market. Then learn about the agronomic principles of the crop from your local agricultural centre or online. Once you are through with this, you will only require to gain experience.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you wait and see whats growing in your garden first there may be other plants that have not starting to grow or be in flower. You may start digging then find you bring up plants. Get yourself some gardening magazines show you how when to sow seeds give you plenty of tips magazines are more up to date.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
when is soon your moving? It may just be enough for you for the first year to go to a nursery and get established vegetable plants already. Starting seeds now, which is what you need to do not is a lot with moving etc. You would be surprised how many tomatoes you get off one tomato plant etc. I would suggest as stated above, to see what is already there. You have to have you vegetables in a sunny location also. Is the soil ready? etc. Lots to consider.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Laurence, we really need to know where you are. Here in Texas we are getting ready to put out tomato transplants--in NY they are getting tomato seeds into starting soil inside and with grow lights! Gardening is really different in different areas.
The only advice that applies to almost all gardens is: 1) find out what kind of soil you have, and if you can't determine that for yourself, get it tested through your state's agricultural colleges; 2) determine what part of your yard gets at least 6 or more hours of sun a day--veggies need sun, and 3) start thinking about what vegetables you like, and the amount you eat in a year.
If you are a beginner gardener, go with the gentlest fertilizer you can find--composted steer manure, or rabbit poop. They won't burn your plants if you over fertilize. Soil? If you aren't doing raised beds or container gardening, why buy soil--use what you have and keep improving it with compost. And that's another thing--as soon as you can, start a compost pile. And seeds--there are a myriad of seed companies selling on-line. Take a look at them and see if you want to spend the money on shipping. If not, a feed store, hardware store, or nursery will have seeds and be able to help you decide the variety you want to try.
Gardening is trial and error, but always fun and rewarding!

Ask a Question