Snakes The Garden

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
How can I keep snakes away from my garden? I have found two snakes in just one month. I managed to kill them but that made me fear going to the garden alone. I also warned my kids not to play near the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are they poisonous snakes? I have garter snakes in my garden but they are absolutely harmless so I love to see them. :)

I suppose, depending on the type of snakes one way would be removing whatever is attracting them to your garden. Or perhaps some sort of deterrent sprinkled on the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The only snake deterrent I know of is a mongoose.

Lol I thought of that too, after I posted. My jrt-x would also be an effective vamint kller. She dispatches mice and deters birds better than any cat and I'm sure she'd be merciless with snakes (although I would not put her at risk with venomous ones.)

I still am curious about whether these snakes are actually harmful. Though given @sixxup's location they may very well be. Michigan only has one venomous snake and it is so rarely seen some people think its extinct. Our garden snakes eat pests and the occasional bird; they are mainly beneficial garden visitors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Whoa, this is a scary thread. Last month we heard a scream in the backyard - our housemaid saw a snake. My husband was able to catch the snake that is thinner than a pencil and about 8 inches long. We are now on the lookout because the question is how did the snake got to our backyard when the fence is concrete and the only access is thru the gate in front. There is a possibility that there is a snake's nest here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's scary and I wouldn't go into the garden with something to protect me! Wear a long thick rubber boot just in case :) I know snakes have their purpose, but the slithering is just not pleasant to see.

I hope you will find a way to keep the snakes out of your area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's funny how some people wouldn't hurt a snake if it crawled in bed with them. No matter what kind of snake I dispatch it with a stick. In Canada the rattlesnake is a protected species and carries a huge fine if you kill one. They went as far as building a special tunnel for the rattle snakes to cross the highway 400 just so that they wouldn't be run over by cars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is a name for all you folks who suffer from a mental condition that makes you have an irrational fear and loathing of snakes. It is called ophidiophobia. Of all the dozens of species of snakes in North America only 4 are venomous. All of the rest are beneficial to you and the environment. Even the 4 venomous species are beneficial although I can understand why one would kill them if they are making a home where you are also living. Why don't all of you with this mental disorder educate yourselves as to who the venomous snakes are and if you must kill a snake kill them and leave the rest alone?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Since the original poster is in Kenya, I have no idea about the venomous/nonvenous snakes sixxup might encounter. Personally I'd just wear sturdy boots to mid-calf, give the snakes a wide berth, and try to find out what they were. We have some venomous snakes here in Texas, so I follow my own advice, but don't kill snakes unless I absolutely have to (when they are in the chicken coop or coiling to strike).
Fear of snakes seems to cross all ethnic and border lines. If you fear snakes, try to stay away from them, and if encountered, get away from them! Snakes are deaf, but they are very sensitive to motion and movement. Walking very firmly or stomping on the ground will let the snake know you are coming and give it time to get away. Snakes are more afraid of people than people are afraid of snakes.
However, fear of snakes is not irrational--they can harm you. Fear of snakes isn't a mental disorder, it is a rational response to something that can harm you. It is the same of fear of wolves, charging bulls, and that sweet little lady in the grocery store with a run-away grocery cart!
I admit I like snakes, have held snakes, and respect snakes. I appreciate that they help keep the vermin count down, and that they are pure muscle, warm to touch, and altogether lovely. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion, but if you can tolerate having non-venomous snakes in your garden, please do so. They will do more good than harm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since the original poster is in Kenya, I have no idea about the venomous/nonvenous snakes sixxup might encounter. Personally I'd just wear sturdy boots to mid-calf, give the snakes a wide berth, and try to find out what they were. We have some venomous snakes here in Texas, so I follow my own advice, but don't kill snakes unless I absolutely have to (when they are in the chicken coop or coiling to strike).
Fear of snakes seems to cross all ethnic and border lines. If you fear snakes, try to stay away from them, and if encountered, get away from them! Snakes are deaf, but they are very sensitive to motion and movement. Walking very firmly or stomping on the ground will let the snake know you are coming and give it time to get away. Snakes are more afraid of people than people are afraid of snakes.
However, fear of snakes is not irrational--they can harm you. Fear of snakes isn't a mental disorder, it is a rational response to something that can harm you. It is the same of fear of wolves, charging bulls, and that sweet little lady in the grocery store with a run-away grocery cart!
I admit I like snakes, have held snakes, and respect snakes. I appreciate that they help keep the vermin count down, and that they are pure muscle, warm to touch, and altogether lovely. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion, but if you can tolerate having non-venomous snakes in your garden, please do so. They will do more good than harm.
I agree that fear of snakes is normal, however an irrational fear of all snakes is a mental disorder and has been proven as such. When encountering a snake my heart skips a beat but then my brain takes over and I realize the snake is either friend or foe. IMO people who indiscriminately kill any snake they see whether harmless or not are mentally disturbed. And why? Have they been bitten or otherwise harmed? More then likely not. I was bitten by a copperhead twice. I was chopping weeds in my parents garden and when it bit me the first time I didn't know what had happened and only after the second bite did I see the snake. It was not a pleasant experience but it did not transform me into a snake hating maniac. I have a family of Indigo Racers living in close proximity of my house. I see them quite often and everytime I come across one my heartbeat greatly increases for a short time. I actually saw one of them eating a small rattle snake last year. All snakes are predators and do a lot of good, but, I will be the first to kill a venomous snake if it is anywhere close to where it could harm me, my family or my pets. If I encounter one out on my acreage someplace I leave them alone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think we all need to remember that the OP is in Kenya...otherwise known as the capital of some of the worlds most venomous snakes...Boomslang, Puff Adder, Cobras, Green Mambas. Oh, and just for kicks, lets throw in the Black Mamba, the longest and most poisonous snake in Africa, the fastest snake and most venomous land snake in the world and probably the most bad-tempered snake in existence. I hate to say it, but everyone from America or Canada's experience with snakes has nothing to do with the experience you will have with snakes in Africa. If I lived in Kenya I would put up a solid wall of bricks or stones and make sure it was at least a foot below ground. I can't think of another way that would be effective unless you go with Chucks idea of a Mongoose. Personally I would go with a Honey Badger which is my absolute favorite animal in the world!!!

Short Honey Badger clip

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree. Most of us don't have a clue about snakes in Kenya but the controversy started with posters in North America flatuating about killing snakes just because they are snakes. But, the facts are as relevant in Kenya as they are anywhere else. One must educate ones self as to which snakes are harmful and which snakes are not. I am sure that some snakes in Kenya are like some of them here, and that is that they eat harmful snakes. For instance the King Snake here in the states favorite meal is a nice tasty rattlesnake. Also the Indigo has an affinity for other snakes. Kill all the snakes and what do you have then? Perhaps one would like to be over run with rats, mice and all sorts of other vermin that make up a snakes normal diet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Why are you killing them? I leave mine alone. they just skimmer away. They take care of eating rats, mice etc. Not worried about them in the least.

But it depends where your from. If you know dam well they are harmful to humans that is another issue. Mine are not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm with you Chuck when it comes to killing animals just to kill animals or just killing animals because you are afraid of them. I think it's wrong and I don't agree with it. I think this thread should have stayed on topic and dealt with living in Kenya not what we deal with in other countries. The fact is in areas where deadly animals coexist with humans you don't have the luxury of just leaving them alone. The OP has children which makes the situation even more serious. In Middle America the chances of being bitten by a deadly snake are extremely rare and if you are there is most likely a medical center nearby to get an antidote. In Kenya the chances of being bit by a deadly snake are much higher and it is not the most urban built-up country. It might take hours to get to a Medical Center and get an antidote and by that time it is too late. You only have two choices to keep yourself and your children safe. Build a wall to keep the snakes out or get rid of them. I would do both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love your passion there @Chuck , I cannot even kill a spider. I some how get it on a piece of paper, or under a glass and quickly remove it outside. Caught a bat once that came in the house, we think on a Christmas tree was sleeping. But anyway, a good wide mouth plastic mason jar with lid did the trick, carefully went under it as it was sleeping scooped it into the jar, lid on. and gently tossed it outside, lid came off, it got out, and flew away.
Another story--my cats don't even kill birds, One day after a huge storm, one of my large male cats brought to me a young bird, he had it in his mouth holding it from its foot. I got it in a shoe box. And thankfully, my friends daughter is a bird rescue person, took it to her, she took it to her place, and gave it an antibiotic shot, held it for a few days, and released it. She said, there was nothing hurt on the bird. Now that cat, could have just killed it in a heart beat. Its a special story to me.

I usually discover my snakes curled up in the sun sleeping. Or then suddenly there is a scurry in the garden and you know one is running. Or one of the cats has discovered it and is curious about it.

Ask a Question