Tomato issue---I need a diagnosis!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last week I noticed aphids on my tomato plants. I immediately googled what to do and read dish soap and water so I went out and sprayed each plant daily, then finally I decided that wasn't doing the trick and had my husband pick up sevins at the farm co op. I have several plants who have discolored leaves. Since spraying the sevins, I'm not seeing the aphids anymore---thankfully! But I'm wondering is this damage from them, the dish soap or do I have a disease? And is there anything I can do to save my plants? Here is a pic... tell me what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is just old damage. The plant will outgrow it. BTW, if you get a bottle of spinosad concentrate it will take care of just about any worm or insect you will come across. Plus it is, unlike Sevin, harmless to pets and humans.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh good to know! Thank you so much! Where do you buy Spinosad concentrate? Do you know if it helps with stink bugs? Bc that's how I even noticed aphids on tomatoes was after I had been on the war path catching stink bugs on my squash and cucumbers and decided to just take a closer look at tomatoes, as it just seemed to early to be dealing with stink bugs! Never too early I guess!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh good to know! Thank you so much! Where do you buy Spinosad concentrate? Do you know if it helps with stink bugs? Bc that's how I even noticed aphids on tomatoes was after I had been on the war path catching stink bugs on my squash and cucumbers and decided to just take a closer look at tomatoes, as it just seemed to early to be dealing with stink bugs! Never too early I guess!
Just about any garden supply house or nursery will have a spinosad based concentrate. Stink bugs are hard to kill with anything but if you spray a stink bug with spinosad directly he is history. Plus it acts as a type of deterrent. You can also harvest the day of application. On you squash look on the underside of the leaves for the eggs and/or a bunch of young stink bugs running around. Squash is the first thing stink bugs go after.

Ask a Question