Watermelons, Cucumbers, and Eggplants - How far apart is good?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How far apart should watermelons be planted from Eggplants and Cucumbers?

I have 2 gardens, a 12' x 6' and a 10' by 6'.

The 10' x 6' is going to be full of primarily strawberries and other companions (Lettuce, Spinach, Beans, Peas.

The 12' x 6' will have Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Carrots, and Broccoli on one end. The other end will have 2 watermelon plants with Onions, Radishes, and Garlic filling in.

I'll have 4 feet from the centerline of the watermelons to the centerline of the eggplants and cucumbers. Is that far enough? I'm going to use that space to put in some Marigolds, Zinnias, and leave a little space for walking.

My other option is to put the strawberries in the big garden with the watermelons, but I've heard that isn't such a good idea either.

Attachments

• Garden 2023.pdf
    678.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds like an awful lot for the area depending on what varieties you grow and how good your soil is.
Watermelons sprawl, give them 3ft each way.
Some tomatoes and strawberries want the same, but with upright tomatoes and good soil you can halve that. I get away with about 20inches each way with my strawberries, but I treat them really well. Strawberries last about three years, so I take half a dozen runners off into pots each year and take all the flowers off, then plant them out next year. Taking the flowers off in the first year more than doubles the crop the next year, so if you are just starting it is worth taking flowers off half your plants and just getting a few the first year.
If you can work from each side of a six foot wide bed you should be able to get away without walking on it, have a bit of plank to spread the weight if you do have to put any on the bed.
Remember under planting still takes the nutrients from the soil, put lots of compost and manure in before you start and fertilise as you go. Sometimes it is better to have a few good plants than a lot of small ones competing with each other.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The pollen from the male flowers from the watermelons is likely to make your cucumbers bitter, especially if you grow a type where either there are no male cucumber flowers, or you have to remove them.
I'd grow one or t'other.
Eggplants/aubergines have surprisingly vigorous roots, & broccoli wont enjoy a regime for fruiting veg.
So get rid of the watermelons eggplants & broccoli.
The good news is that, with strawberries being woodland plants, they don't mind a little shade, so you could grow some single stem tomatoes in with the strawberries & put up a trellis to train the cucumbers
Marigolds, yes, as long as they're dwarf French, zinnias you just can't fit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When planting watermelons, it's important to consider the spacing requirements for their companion plants, such as eggplants and cucumbers. The general recommendation is to space watermelons at least 6-8 feet apart from other plants, including their companions. This spacing allows the watermelon vines to spread out and receive adequate sunlight, air circulation, and nutrients.

In your case, having 4 feet from the centerline of the watermelons to the centerline of the eggplants and cucumbers may be a bit tight, especially as the plants grow larger. However, if you're planning to use the remaining space for flowers and walking paths, this could help alleviate some of the crowding issues.

As for the strawberries, it's generally not recommended to plant them with watermelons or other members of the cucurbit family, as they are susceptible to the same soil-borne diseases. It's best to keep them separate in their own garden bed or container.

Overall, it's important to consider the individual spacing requirements for each plant and ensure they have enough room to grow and thrive without overcrowding or competing for resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've grown watermelon and cucumbers right on top of each other for a few years now. I haven't noticed any bitter tasting fruits from either. Is this something you've experienced?
"especially if you grow a type where either there are no male cucumber flowers, or you have to remove them."

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The good news is that, with strawberries being woodland plants, they don't mind a little shade,
There are an awful lot of different wild strawberries. The one we grow traditionally is a cross between one that grows on fairly open, costal ground and one that grows in open woodland, and you are right they don't mind a little shade, but I am seeing some new hybrids with quite different habits, read the instructions if you are getting anything fancy. Be cautious of seedsman's claims, some are a bit optimistic.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses all. The watermelons just take up so much space.

What if I put the watermelons in Pots? I have large 15-20 gallon pots that I can use. I know they will require much more frequent watering, but I can handle that with ease.

Also, you say that upright tomatoes can be planted with the Strawberries. Did I read that cucumbers can as well if they're trellised? I've been successful with training them to climb before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've always trained my pickles, saves lots of space in the garden.

If you can figure out a way to support the fruit, watermelon will climb too.

I wouldn't put cucumbers near watermelon because they'll be fighting for nutrients

Looking at your list, timing would be something to play with. In my area, spinach is mostly done growing by the time cucumbers will start taking off. Broccoli likes cooler weather, maybe harvest it and put peppers in it's spot. Kind of a short term crop rotation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always trained my pickles, saves lots of space in the garden.

If you can figure out a way to support the fruit, watermelon will climb too.

I wouldn't put cucumbers near watermelon because they'll be fighting for nutrients

Looking at your list, timing would be something to play with. In my area, spinach is mostly done growing by the time cucumbers will start taking off. Broccoli likes cooler weather, maybe harvest it and put peppers in it's spot. Kind of a short term crop rotation.

Timing - something that has been considered. That's why my string beans and peas are intermixed. The schedule around here has most cool weather crops bring harvested around the 01-June mark, but the warm weather crops are planted around 01-May, if not a little before. Obviously the summer crops won't be full size by 01-Jun.

Can the cucumbers be planted with the strawberries? Is there anything else that can be planted with the strawberries? While I won't need it this year, I might need it next year or crop rotation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Timing isn't really a hard and fast rule. So feel free to adjust as needed.

But keep in mind the size of the plants. For example, your spinach may not be ready to harvest when you put in your tomato seedlings, but the tomatoes won't need the room until after the spinach is harvested. Overlapping is ok

Of course, you need to watch out for compatability between crops, look around for companion planting charts.

Ask a Question