23 September 2015 Watermelon Pressure Canning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/23 September 2015 Watermelon Pressure Canning/HTML 23 September 2015 Watermelon Pressure Canning
Three nine pound watermelon were processed into seven liters of juice. The complete watermelon was utilized rind and all. I cooked some rind alone and made a slurry as a test. It was found to be as sweet as the red part.The rind is touted to be very nutritious.Procedure was cut into pieces,place in cooking pot with three liters of water, cook until soft, blend into a slurry, strain through a food mill 2 mm mesh.Put food mill residue through Champion Juicer to extract all nutrients.Place in liter jars and Pressure Can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. The juice is sweet and pleasant tasting.
dsc_751623%20september%202015%20watermelon%20pressure%20canning._std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Do you mean to say you include the green rind in juicing the watermelon? I wonder if it would enhance the taste. I agree about the nutrients of the rind because apple also has nutrients in its skin. We don't eat the green part and even the white part of the watermelon is not normally eaten here so I cannot come to terms with that. Just my thoughts, no offense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I use the complete watermelon. The green rind has exactly the same taste as the red part when cooked.
Do a google on watermelon rind nutrients.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Learning something new today about watermelon rind! Like @Corzhens I haven't never tried to eat the green and white part and they are always tossed away. Didn't know we can use the entire watermelon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do you remove the seeds? I remember reading somewhere that they contain unhealthy chemicals. Same goes for cherry pits and peach pits.
However, I'm not sure if it's true.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I understand. Then it's true that seeds contain harmful substances? I'm asking this, because I sometimes swallow them accidentally while eating watermelons:confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I always eat the seeds when eating the raw watermelon. No harmful effects detectable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Do you remove the seeds? I remember reading somewhere that they contain unhealthy chemicals. Same goes for cherry pits and peach pits.
However, I'm not sure if it's true.

Pardon me but i think that isn't true at all. The Chinese have originated the watermelon seeds that was being sold here since I was young. Those big seeds have a whitish content inside that is a good snack food. Although we do not eat the seeds as they are, i.e. the black hard covering is removed first, the edible seed is a hit with the oldsters here. Now there is a brand of canned watermelon seeds that has no shell anymore and ready to eat the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Pardon me but i think that isn't true at all. The Chinese have originated the watermelon seeds that was being sold here since I was young. Those big seeds have a whitish content inside that is a good snack food. Although we do not eat the seeds as they are, i.e. the black hard covering is removed first, the edible seed is a hit with the oldsters here. Now there is a brand of canned watermelon seeds that has no shell anymore and ready to eat the seeds.
I'm happy to hear it and I honestly hope you're right:) I prefer to think that those seeds aren't unhealthy, because I sometimes swallow them while eating watermelons:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use the complete watermelon. The green rind has exactly the same taste as the red part when cooked.
Do a google on watermelon rind nutrients.
It is amazing that the rind would taste the same when cooked down. Vegetables and fruits usually take on more complex flavors when cooked, so you would think that even the red part would taste different. I am not fond of watermelon, but your canning and juicing process still sounds interesting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you add any salt or sugar when you process or is it straight watermelon juice? Also do you know the approximate shelflife for this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Do you add any salt or sugar when you process or is it straight watermelon juice? Also do you know the approximate shelflife for this?
I add no extraneous substances to my slurry/juice. The watermelon juice is excellent. Also canning can be at the peak of the season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It might be prudent to skin the watermelon unless you grow your own. One can only guess at what garden sprays are used.

Ask a Question