Tomatoes and the other green worm?!

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was pulling up my tomato plants I noticed a little green worm half in and half out of a tomato. When I Googled, all that came up was info on horn worms. But this was not a horn worm!

It was one of the rare times I did not have my camera with me. This worm was green, segmented, and the half sticking out of the hole was less than half an inch long. The hole wasn't quite as big around as a pencil.

I didn't even know worms got into tomatoes! Does anyone know of a little green worm that eats into tomatoes?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Well, the tomato fruitworm is kind of like that but in my experience, it is a darker color.

"Tomato fruitworms" go by the Latin name Helicoverpa zea. The pesky cream, yellow, green, or brown worms are actually the larvae of the Helicoverpa zea moth. "

Woops I see @YumYum already suggested that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was it the tomato fruit worm? They can be different colors.

I just looked up tomato fruit worm, and I'm betting that's exactly what it was. Thank you! :) I can deal with almost any garden pest except worms that burrow into what's going on a plate. I read once that worms like broccoli and can be really hard to find, so I've never grown broccoli. The possibility of worms in my food will make me lose my appetite quicker than anything.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.. I read once that worms like broccoli and can be really hard to find, so I've never grown broccoli. The possibility of worms in my food will make me lose my appetite quicker than anything.
Oh no don't let that make you miss out on fresh garden raised broccoli. It is the Cat's meow!!

I raise a lot of broccilli every fall and almost never have any insect damage...but a BT spray will get any worms on broc and others and its organic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh no don't let that make you miss out on fresh garden raised broccoli. It is the Cat's meow!!

I raise a lot of broccilli every fall and almost never have any insect damage...but a BT spray will get any worms on broc and others and its organic.
You got that right. Broccoli tastes like another vegetable compared to that frozen store bought stuff and still alot better than the broccoli in the produce section. You really wouldn't believe the difference.

I got a little behind and the cabbage worms destroyed my fall crop. They will totally destroy them in a few days time this time of year and then you don't have time to start another patch cause frost is coming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no don't let that make you miss out on fresh garden raised broccoli.
Broccoli tastes like another vegetable compared to that frozen store bought stuff

Well, I'm tempted to try it one time based solely on the above broccoli praise. I will at least look into it. The thing I most wish I could grow that I've never grown because of worms is corn. Well, worms, and thinking corn takes too much room. Anyway, I'm planning next year's garden and doing everything I can to do better, plan better, and learn from my mistakes. "Maybe" not growing
broccoli is a mistake. I do have BT! Thank you!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You are right Corn is something everyone should try to grow if they can find the space...the fresh taste is incredible.

A hint for corn ear worms...when the ears start silking treat them with a mixture of BT and neem oil dropped right on the silk with a medicine dropper. Use BT and neem in a 1 to 10 ratio. You have to keep up the applications until harvest, weekly or so, and you will see perfect worm free ears at harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Use BT and neem in a 1 to 10 ratio.

Thank you, Meadowlark. One part BT, 10 parts neem? No water, right? Any hints for growing corn? I'm sorely tempted to try to come up with enough room. I like corn on the cob from the store, so I'm sure I'd be in for a treat if it was fresh from the garden. What kind do you grow?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You're making me work today, LOL, but its fun!

Thank you, Meadowlark. One part BT, 10 parts neem? No water, right?
Yes, correct

Any hints for growing corn? I'm sorely tempted to try to come up with enough room. I like corn on the cob from the store, so I'm sure I'd be in for a treat if it was fresh from the garden. What kind do you grow?

Arguably the most important aspect to growing corn at home is space. Corn is wind pollinated. or hand pollinated. Not by bees or other insects. Hence, you need adequate plants and space to grow them.

Three rows in full sun, at least 8 ft long planted in kernels with a 5 inch spacing and thinned to about 10 inches per plant is what I recommend. Some others use a block planting method. Whatever you choose, you will probably still need to hand pollinate by going out every morning after tasseling and shake the plants to get that pollen falling from the top tassels to the silks below. Some cut off some tassels and shake or brush them over the silks. I prefer the former. You can probably find countless videos of both techniques.

I have grown "Honey select Triple Sweet" for many years. I have found it the best tasting corn anywhere including the Olathe corn from Colorado that is touted as the best tasting commercial corn on the market..this is better, trust me. :)

Ask a Question