Fried Green Tomatoes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/July 2015/10 July 2015 Fried Green Tomatoes/HTML/ 10 July 2015 Fried Green Tomatoes
Made a pan of fried green tomatoes picked from the garden. A few grape tomatoes were added to enhance flavor. There are no ripe large tomatoes. The green tomatoes were sliced thick, fried in salted butter at medium heat,sprinkled with black pepper, and steamed a bit by adding a spoonful of water with lid in place.The red grape tomatoes, oblong, were cut in half and cooked at the same time.A whole wheat buttered home muffin was added, toasted bread also suffices.A slice of watermelon purchased today supplied some liquid. This was from the Southern USA and was perfect.

dsc_463310%20july%202015%20frid%20green%20tomatoes_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL @headfullofbees.

I prefer ripe tomatoes but at the end of the season I use up (and give away) all the unripe ones. Either as Durgan does, or breaded with cornmeal and a touch of sugar.
You can also make green tomato jam/relish/chutney, canned or just to store in the fridge for a few weeks. It's been years since I did that but there's lots of recipes out there.
I went on a pickling binge last fall - eggs, root vegetables, cucumbers, onions, celery...I might try pickling some green tomatoes this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your fried green tomatoes sound and look healthier than mine :) I like them in batter and with dipping sauce!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, that looks like a nutritious dish. What we usually do with extra tomatoes is the tomato omelet. We fry the sliced tomatoes and mix diced cheese before adding the egg for the omelet. It's a good breakfast with buttered toast. But simply fried green tomato is alien to us although I guess it would be kind of sour. And that slice of watermelon looks intriguing to me. That's the red objects, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never seen straight fried green tomatoes before. The only ones I am aware of or have tried before are the ones in the south US in which they are battered and fried so that they are crunchy and dripping with grease. They sure are tasty that way. Yours look very good with the mixture of the small red tomatoes with them.

Reaction score
I just fried some the other day. I absolutely love them. There was a time when I did not like them but I figured out that if I fry them when the tomatoes are just turning yellow, then I like the taste better. I experienced them getting too soggy also but learned that the grease should be very hot when I put them in. My children even love them and believe it or not eat them with hot sauce.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I first learned of fried green tomatoes when I was young and watched the movie of the same name. I thought people were crazy for eating them, like they could not at least wait until they were ripe. I tried one later on in life and they are pretty good. I will have to try a ripe fried tomato one of these days.

Ask a Question