Getting ready for fried green tomatoes.

Reaction score
I was out picking tomatoes today and there are so many that have not started to turn yet. The cold weather seems to be coming fast, which stinks because winter was so late leaving. Shortest growing season I ever remember. One I'd like to forget, I think I'm going to start planning next years garden early, just because I didn't get enough gardening this summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd love to eat fried green tomatoes:D I've never tried them.
Last winter in my country was short and unusually warm, but I feel that I didn't get enough gardening this summer either. I guess I'm insatiate;)

Reaction score
No, I haven't tried chutney or any other green apple recipe. Thanks for the link, I just may have enough left after my husband has had his fill of fried green tomatoes!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom always made fried green tomatoes when I was younger. I never tried them, I felt tomatoes should always be red, I was young.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mom always made fried green tomatoes when I was younger. I never tried them, I felt tomatoes should always be red, I was young.
When I was a child, I didn't eat any tomatoes at all. I hated them, I thought that they look disgusting, lol:p. Now, I can't imagine my life without them.
Children are funny, aren't they?;)

Reaction score
Do you know a good fried green tomatoes recipe? I've seen a few recipes but I don't know which ones are good because I've never made them before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Fried green tomatoes? I love tomatoes. :O It's weird that I haven't heard of this before. I am now off to Google to check the recipe! Thanks for the brilliant idea! Yay!

Reaction score
I was out picking tomatoes today and there are so many that have not started to turn yet. The cold weather seems to be coming fast, which stinks because winter was so late leaving. Shortest growing season I ever remember. One I'd like to forget, I think I'm going to start planning next years garden early, just because I didn't get enough gardening this summer.
They really sound good and something I would love to actually try. I guess it is a great way to use tomatoes that haven't ripened.... Sad though. The weather is so unpredictable!! I think I may start looking around for some ideas and recipes to use those tomatoes!! I have a feeling by the way it looks, we will have a lot too! :(

Danyel

Reaction score
I make fried green tomatoes by slicing very firm, very green, tomatoes in about 1/2 in slices. Then I dip them in flour that has been seasoned with garlic salt, then a mixture of egg with a little water that has been mixed well, then into a finely ground cornmeal seasoned with Italian seasonings, and Parmesan cheese. I'm not one for measuring things, so the seasonings should be to your taste and I'm guessing that I mix about 1/4 cup cheese in about 1 cup of the cornmeal.

Then I place them on a nonstick mat on a sheet pan, give them a light spray of olive oil, and bake them at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes.

Reaction score
This is totally new to me...i've never heard of fried green tomatoes...i wonder what it taste like..well i guess i need to give it a try and see what it's like.

Reaction score
It tastes wonderful. I'd never heard of them until a few years ago, and only because of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". When I commented on it, my husband said he ate them as a kid, when he was in the south, where they are quite popular. Of course, I had to find a recipe for the then!

Reaction score
I love fried green tomatoes! I dip them in milk first. Then in the flour, cornmeal, and seasonings mix. Then I eat them with ketchup. Funny, I know.

If you have a lot of green tomatoes, wrap them up in newspaper and put them in a cool dry place like a basement. Watch them closely and mix them up every once and awhile. They will turn red on their own. I did that one year, and I got through most of the winter with fresh tomatoes.

Reaction score
At least there is a way to save the ones that haven't ripened yet and still be able to eat them. It's always a bummer when the season ends before everything gets ripe. I hope we have a better growing season next year. My region needs more water.

Reaction score
I love fried green tomatoes! I dip them in milk first. Then in the flour, cornmeal, and seasonings mix. Then I eat them with ketchup. Funny, I know.

If you have a lot of green tomatoes, wrap them up in newspaper and put them in a cool dry place like a basement. Watch them closely and mix them up every once and awhile. They will turn red on their own. I did that one year, and I got through most of the winter with fresh tomatoes.

Thanks for your post MindyT i was actually wonder how this was done but now that you've given me some insight i will definitely be given this fried green tomatoes a try.

Ask a Question