Fried Green Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just ate fried green tomatoes for the first time....so good!! Would any of you be willing to share your recipe for frying tomatoes, squash ect?? Got one off the internet but I am sure there a lot of wonderful cooks on here to go with all the nice gardens

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Green tomatoes fried in butter are good. I prefer the tomato to have just a tinge of ripening.It is similar to green but a slightly more alluring flavour IMO.

Another way is to beat up an egg with a hand blender. Dip the sliced tomato in the egg and the dip in bread crumbs. There are many bread crumbs in a package from the supermarket. Some packages have flavours but I prefer just plain.

Don't have the pan too hot and use a lid for a few minutes to raise the temperature and partially steam cook.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've fried them in little chunks as part of a stir fry with no special prep. Usually I do fried green tomatoes late in the season, trying to eat up all the green ones before frost hits!

Not a hard and fast recipe but good, and given me years ago by a friend who grew up in Alabama.

Slice green (or firm red) tomatoes into thick slices.

Coat in a beaten mix of buttermilk and egg.

Then cornmeal, mixed with salt, pepper, cayenne and about a spoonful of brown sugar.

Fry and eat. :)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I love green tomatoes with my scrambled eggs; it takes me to the moon and back.

They are quite different from red tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My son coated the green tomato slices with egg white and corn flour before frying! They were so good and was a good way to use the tomatoes at the end of summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
This is amazing! I didn't know about it. We newer eat green tomatoes. I'll try it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fried green tomatoes are awesome. However, do they have fried red tomatoes? Would they taste the same?

Anyhow, I remember I ate some fried green tomatoes at a restaurant and they were the best appetizer ever. Nonetheless, I haven't seen them offered at other restaurant chain. Also, I'm sure people outside of the south USA have never heard of this food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fried green tomatoes are awesome. However, do they have fried red tomatoes? Would they taste the same?

Anyhow, I remember I ate some fried green tomatoes at a restaurant and they were the best appetizer ever. Nonetheless, I haven't seen them offered at other restaurant chain. Also, I'm sure people outside of the south USA have never heard of this food.

I think you are right..its a very regional item

The main difference is that ripe tomatoes soften and turn into sauce fairly quickly. Green tomatoes hold their shape and texture so taste quite different after cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

You are right I tried them after a friend from the south was talking about making some, funny thing was she couldn't believe I had never heard of or had them.

Ask a Question