Tomatoes stay green forever?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The main problem about growing tomatoes in my backyard is that no matter the variety, they stay green on the plant for an extremely long time! Unless it's a cherry type. What causes my tomatoes to take so long to mature? This is my Dwarf Tiny Tim plant, and the fruits on it have been like this for two weeks now! What's the deal? Are they not getting enough sun? Are they not getting enough fertilize? Anybody else experience this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_111339.jpg
    IMG_20190509_111339.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 218

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's heat that gets them to ripen, would think Texas would be ideal.

You can try draping some banana skins near the fruit, the ethelyne gas helps to set them off, once one goes they'll start producing it themselves so you'll get a chain reaction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I have read of that method. I think apples are supposed to help with that do. I never thought of doing that to tomatoes still on the plants. I'd just like to know what is causing them to stay green for so long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'd suggest removing some of the leaves covering your tomatoes to let the radiant heat of the sun warm, and hopefully ripen them, although I believe you're having terrible weather atm?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't want my tomatoes to get sunscald. My peppers will get sunburned if there's not enough leaf coverage on the plants. Yes, we're having a lot of rain lately, but no matter the weather, the tomatoes stay green on the plant for a very long time. I like zigs idea about the banana, but I live in the woods and I'd hate to attract more ants, mice or rats to my garden than we already have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just be patient. Early tomatoes always take what seems like forever. Tomatoes have 3 stages. Green, white and blushing stage. I see in your picture that you have at least one tomato in the white stage. This white stage will last a few days and then it will start to color (blushing) and within 2 weeks after this happens it will be red. If birds or insects or animals are a future threat you can pick and be assured that the tomato is fully mature if there is only slight color (pinkish) and it will ripen nicely in a kitchen window.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't want my tomatoes to get sunscald. My peppers will get sunburned if there's not enough leaf coverage on the plants. Yes, we're having a lot of rain lately, but no matter the weather, the tomatoes stay green on the plant for a very long time. I like zigs idea about the banana, but I live in the woods and I'd hate to attract more ants, mice or rats to my garden than we already have.
The banana/apple trick works if the tomatoes are in a bag but I'd say it would be doubtful out in the open. Don't worry about sunscald until late June.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
By the way, as soon as a tomato starts to ripen it will continue to do so, independent of the plant, because it is climacteric.
Leaving it on the bush/vine serves no purpose, and you can ripen it quicker somewhere warmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I pick a tomato green and let it ripen indoors, usually it will still have a hard core, which is why I just leave it on the plant until it finally matures. I have no animals or birds that come after my tomatoes(I have a fenced in backyard). Don't worry, I'll keep patient, and try to keep my potted tomatoes in the sun as much as possible...if it would stop raining! :wtf:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By the way, here is my mystery tomato! Does this look like a six-inch tall Micro Tom to anyone? :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_20190507_191613.jpg
    IMG_20190507_191613.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I pick a tomato green and let it ripen indoors, usually it will still have a hard core, which is why I just leave it on the plant until it finally matures. I have no animals or birds that come after my tomatoes(I have a fenced in backyard). Don't worry, I'll keep patient, and try to keep my potted tomatoes in the sun as much as possible...if it would stop raining! :wtf:
Picking a green tomato will always lead to a hard core. Sometimes, and this is what commercial growers who sell to grocery stores do, is pick the tomatoes when in the white stage and then they gas them to make the red. This is why they resemble hockey pucks and taste like cardboard. If you wait until they have a very light pink tinge on any part of the tomato it is a sexually mature tomato and will ripen perfectly. I pick ALL of my tomatoes at first blush because of all the mockingbirds, orioles and varmints here. If I didn't they would get them all. Picking a green tomato is only good as fried green tomatoes which I think is a waste of a good tomato. Oh, and please update your profile as to what town you are close to. North Texas is a whole world of difference than South Texas and East Texas is different than both and West Texas is just about impossible. I've lived and gardened in all of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Which is why store-bought tomatoes will NEVER beat a home-grown one! ;) Birds never touch my tomatoes. But I have had worm trouble before. Hard cores can also be caused my poor weather to, I think. My German Pinks and Blue Beautys have had that problem before. A few years back I was standing in my kitchen with a knife cutting out the core of each Blue Beauty. It was great though, because I couldn't stop nibbling! Blue Beauty is truly one of my favorites! It may not taste like a red tomato, but it's not sweet, which is not my preference. It has it's own mild, unique flavor. If you haven't tried it, give it a try sometime!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Which is why store-bought tomatoes will NEVER beat a home-grown one! ;) Birds never touch my tomatoes. But I have had worm trouble before. Hard cores can also be caused my poor weather to, I think. My German Pinks and Blue Beautys have had that problem before. A few years back I was standing in my kitchen with a knife cutting out the core of each Blue Beauty. It was great though, because I couldn't stop nibbling! Blue Beauty is truly one of my favorites! It may not taste like a red tomato, but it's not sweet, which is not my preference. It has it's own mild, unique flavor. If you haven't tried it, give it a try sometime!
Heirloom tomato varieties often have unappetizing aspects attributed to them. That is why there are so many hybrids, tomato breeders trying to get rid of the things they don't like, trying to come up with a perfect tomato. Weather, I don't believe has anything to do with a hard core.. It's a varietal issue. But I could be wrong on this. I thought mocking birds were all over Texas. If you want some maybe I can scare some your way. For the past 3 seasons I have had trouble with tomato pin worms and haven't found a solution yet except to never stop spraying Bt. If I were still growing commercially I'd be bankrupt but they only destroy a small portion of the tomato so I just cut the rotten part out. And I get the occasional hornworm. I kind of look forward to them as they make great catfish bait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I have lots of mockingbirds, and many other birds. But they do not touch my garden. Wrens, however, want to build their dumb nests in pots. I have had the hornworm, but my weird mother thinks they're cute, and won't let me stomp on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you save the seeds of Blue Beauty. If so how true do they come?
Yes, I have lots of mockingbirds, and many other birds. But they do not touch my garden. Wrens, however, want to build their dumb nests in pots. I have had the hornworm, but my weird mother thinks they're cute, and won't let me stomp on them.
Mocking birds love to eat tomatoes so watch out for them when your tomatoes get red or purple or any other color. They don't like unripe tomatoes.

Ask a Question