Tomato plants - fungus? Blight? Mold? Do I ditch the whole garden bed or are they salvageable?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I can’t tell what’s going on with this new development on my tomato plant. There’s a few plants in this bed, and I am worried it’s spreading. Do I yank the infected one out or do I treat?? (And what the heck is it?)

**Edit to add that I grew these from seed, they do get hit with the sprinklers at night (unavoidable) and I noticed it just now after a heavy rain
IMG_4133.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is definitely a fungal disease. Which one without more photos is impossible to say. You can spray with potassium bicarbonate, baking soda, milk, copper sprays but as long as you have overhead watering at night it will only get worse. A lawn should not be watered more than once per week @ one inch per watering and in the morning hours. This will help your lawn grass and your garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is definitely a fungal disease. Which one without more photos is impossible to say. You can spray with potassium bicarbonate, baking soda, milk, copper sprays but as long as you have overhead watering at night it will only get worse. A lawn should not be watered more than once per week @ one inch per watering and in the morning hours. This will help your lawn grass and your garden.
I’ve already cut off all of the other affected branches and disposed of them. Basically they look like that one, with varrying degrees of coverage of the black stuff. No rings with yellow halos - just black. The affected leaves aren’t curling, and the undersides look speckled, like the black is eating through.

I’m not in control of how often the lawn is watered, or when.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you start spraying with potassium bicarbonate you can probably get a harvest but you will not cure the disease.

Ask a Question