Tomato plants wilting after re-potting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I repotted the seedlings about a week ago into 4 in pots. I know for sure I over watered them when I repotted them. Not from the top. I have the pots in an aluminum drip pan and put 1/2in or so of fertilized water in the pan. I did water the plants in just a bit after repotting to settle the dirt a bit. Once I realized the pots had soaked up what I thought was too much water I left the door of the tent open for about 4 days to let them dry out a bit as I have a humidifier that runs in the basement and keeps the air about 50% humidity. Any Ideas what some of the plants are wilting a bit and the others look great?

20230410_074113.jpg
20230410_065953.jpg
20230410_065956.jpg
20230410_070000.jpg
20230410_070004.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't worry about it. It is just a bit of transplant shock. They will grow out of it shortly. The plants look good and have excellent color. I would try to separate them a little though and make sure that the pots drain well. You cannot give a plant that drains well too much water but you can and will kill a plant by keeping it too wet. I would not fertilize again until the leaf curl and droop goes away probably within a week.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would tend to agree with Chuck. However, my question would be why did this happen in the first place? I've been starting tomatoes from seed for decades and usually pot them up twice before they make it to the garden and I never have any transplant shock as I never disturb the root ball when transplanting. I don't know what you started them in but I'm guessing the root mass was disturbed when you repotted. I always water from the bottom as well and once the top of the soil darkens I remove them from the bath and let them drain. What I find the most strange is the leaf curl, the only time I ever get any of that is in the heat of mid summer. All I can guess with that is your soil was too wet, excess humidity levels, lack of good air flow and possibly excess nitrogen. For sure I would remove that middle row of plants in those trays. Overall you should be ok I would think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would tend to agree with Chuck. However, my question would be why did this happen in the first place? I've been starting tomatoes from seed for decades and usually pot them up twice before they make it to the garden and I never have any transplant shock as I never disturb the root ball when transplanting. I don't know what you started them in but I'm guessing the root mass was disturbed when you repotted. I always water from the bottom as well and once the top of the soil darkens I remove them from the bath and let them drain. What I find the most strange is the leaf curl, the only time I ever get any of that is in the heat of mid summer. All I can guess with that is your soil was too wet, excess humidity levels, lack of good air flow and possibly excess nitrogen. For sure I would remove that middle row of plants in those trays. Overall you should be ok I would think.
First time I've ever started from seed. I purposely loosened the root balls as I've always done with potted plants that I've bought and planted. I would agree with too much humidity

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read that part of the leaves curling upwards could be from too much nitrogen. I used the amount the bottle suggested for seedlings. And 3-3-3 is a lower nitro fertilizer anyways, no?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have read that part of the leaves curling upwards could be from too much nitrogen. I used the amount the bottle suggested for seedlings. And 3-3-3 is a lower nitro fertilizer anyways, no?
It could be, yes, but most leaf curl is caused by an environmental change. Are the plants with the curl all one variety or are the plants without leaf curl the same variety as the plants with leaf curl?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It could be, yes, but most leaf curl is caused by an environmental change. Are the plants with the curl all one variety or are the plants without leaf curl the same variety as the plants with leaf curl?
Good call. All the ones wilting are a bodacious hybrid (burpee) and can barely stand up on their own. The big boys and cherries are stout and look great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good call. All the ones wilting are a bodacious hybrid (burpee) and can barely stand up on their own. The big boys and cherries are stout and look great
What I would do is separate the Bodacious from the others. If you think the stems are weak get some bamboo skewers at the grocery store and loosely tie the plants to the skewers. Get an oscillating fan and turn it on the plants and let the back and forth motion of the air strengthen the stems for a week or two. I would also fill up the containers they are in to about 1/4 inch from the top to help add root mass. I would reduce watering to twice per week. The fan will dry out the soil so when you water, water thoroughly. I have not as yet grown this variety so I don't know its growth habits. Now you know it is not a disease or mishandling of the plants that has caused the problem, it is a varietal issue. I also think separation is the key to fixing the problem and also for future plantings. DO NOT FERTILIZE until a few days after the problem has cleared.

Last edited:

Ask a Question