Tomato plants in Dallas, TX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I live in Dallas Texas and have 7 tomato plants of different varieties. Its over 100 here, I am managing to keep the tomato plants alive, but any sort of blossom results in blossom drop(i believe is the proper term, when its simply to hot and the blossom just simply dries and falls off). I've tried abudant amounts of water. I have tried pulling them into some shade to try to get them out of the sun for so many hours. I have no tried shade cloth but it is so hot I just don't think it would work. Any ideas? I have 7 plants with zero tomato's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,
I live in Dallas Texas and have 7 tomato plants of different varieties. Its over 100 here, I am managing to keep the tomato plants alive, but any sort of blossom results in blossom drop(i believe is the proper term, when its simply to hot and the blossom just simply dries and falls off). I've tried abudant amounts of water. I have tried pulling them into some shade to try to get them out of the sun for so many hours. I have no tried shade cloth but it is so hot I just don't think it would work. Any ideas? I have 7 plants with zero tomato's.
All you can do is keep them alive until it starts to cool off in Sept. Shade cloth is a help but not a cure for the temps we have been having.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks kind of figured, there are 2 times when tomato's grow in Texas from 80 to about 95 i kept them going. So in the beginning of the season wait for the heat to pass then again from 95-80 again in the end of summer. Thanks was hoping for some sort of trick but doesn't seem there is one. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks kind of figured, there are 2 times when tomato's grow in Texas from 80 to about 95 i kept them going. So in the beginning of the season wait for the heat to pass then again from 95-80 again in the end of summer. Thanks was hoping for some sort of trick but doesn't seem there is one. Thank you
What you say is pretty much true but you forgot the most important thing of all, LOW NIGHTTIME TEMPS. Anything from 70F-74F the pollen will probably be tacky and not set fruit. Fruit can set at 60F but optimal temperature is about 68F. And there should be at least 2 nights of this temperature in a row.

Ask a Question