My plan for 12 tomato plants was a trellis net. But will a nylon trellis net hold that many tomatoes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll anchor the net to some posts I'll bury in the ground. The bed is around 5x8 or so. It'll just be a horizontal trellis net with all the vines weaved through. I could do 2 layers and bring some vines above too. This is my first time, does anyone think this won't work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea I'd say that is too many plants for that area. If you were to single stem them, you could get a few more in there but I didn't like single stemming my tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea I'd say that is too many plants for that area. If you were to single stem them, you could get a few more in there but I didn't like single stemming my tomatoes.
They're in there now. I thought I was too close but it felt right at the time. I guess I'll see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'll anchor the net to some posts I'll bury in the ground. The bed is around 5x8 or so. It'll just be a horizontal trellis net with all the vines weaved through. I could do 2 layers and bring some vines above too. This is my first time, does anyone think this won't work?
Sounds like a great idea. Agree that it might get a bit cramped in there with all those plants.
Send a photo when you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just for more scare factor, I've had a couple years where I ended up with vines approaching 15 feet!

How tall are your posts? You can start the netting a couple feet above the ground as the plants can support themselves for that distance.

As for too many plants if your soil is deep enough and rich enough, I don't see a problem with roots. But tomatoes need sun and airflow to prevent problems with the leaves. Maybe place the trellis a couple feet outside of the bed and angle it away so there's room for the plants to branch out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can see a disaster just waiting to happen unless you remove at least 1/2 of the plants or remove at least 1/3 of them and grow vertically with a single or possibly a double stem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just for more scare factor, I've had a couple years where I ended up with vines approaching 15 feet!

How tall are your posts? You can start the netting a couple feet above the ground as the plants can support themselves for that distance.

As for too many plants if your soil is deep enough and rich enough, I don't see a problem with roots. But tomatoes need sun and airflow to prevent problems with the leaves. Maybe place the trellis a couple feet outside of the bed and angle it away so there's room for the plants to branch out.
That's a good idea. I will make the trellis nets 6 or so inches out on each side

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can see a disaster just waiting to happen unless you remove at least 1/2 of the plants or remove at least 1/3 of them and grow vertically with a single or possibly a double stem.

That article was helpful. I'm hoping that if I make my trellis larger than the bed, keep the main branches off each other and growing where I want them, use a second trellis level above the first, and keep the sucker branches off that maybe I'll be okay. I do have more room. I planted the tomatoes 5 days ago. I don't know if it would be better to dig them up and replant them or not.

Ask a Question