My plan for 12 tomato plants was a trellis net. But will a nylon trellis net hold that many tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That article was helpful. I'm hoping that if I make my trellis larger than the bed, keep the main branches off each other and growing where I want them, use a second trellis level above the first, and keep the sucker branches off that maybe I'll be okay. I do have more room. I planted the tomatoes 5 days ago. I don't know if it would be better to dig them up and replant them or not.
If you have the room and decent soil I would definitely dig them up now before the roots get too big. A rule of thumb. Most tomato plants grow to a diameter of about 3 feet so each plant will occupy a little less than 9 sq ft.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have the room and decent soil I would definitely dig them up now before the roots get too big. A rule of thumb. Most tomato plants grow to a diameter of about 3 feet so each plant will occupy a little less than 9 sq ft.
I'm nervous about digging them up. Most of these will be given away. I mean I'm okay if the tomatoes go to shit and it ends up being a learning experience. I'm going to put the trellis net together today. In the rest of the bed I was going to plant pole beans on one side and cucumbers on the other.
20230514_120046.jpg
20230514_120052.jpg
20230514_120055.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Espalier is a good idea that you mentioned. No reason you cannot set up a pole(s) or something outside the box and run them wherever you want them to go. Just prune early, do not let an unruly branch out waste energy when it could be growing the direction you need it to go. A real simple version is called the florida weave. Just some line and poles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm nervous about digging them up. Most of these will be given away. I mean I'm okay if the tomatoes go to shit and it ends up being a learning experience. I'm going to put the trellis net together today. In the rest of the bed I was going to plant pole beans on one side and cucumbers on the other. View attachment 96211View attachment 96212View attachment 96213
Those are nice healthy looking plants. Growing them vertically, in cylindrical cages, may work better.

Ask a Question