Tomato and Potato leafs/plants weeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Clearly, I know not to do so if any for of disease. But I have been composting the healthy scraps for several years no issues. I hot compost and have not had any problems. the Tomato in particular gets me a lot of green material. I started throwing weeds in also a few years ago. again no issues. as long as the pile heats up, no issues. I am thinking no problems, dont change.
My neighbor did the same until this past year. he used the previous years compost and ended up with crazy blight etc. he attributes it to using these things in compost.
Do you all use them or avoid them?

thanks in advance

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I can only speak from my experience so here goes:

1) weeds are mostly great for hot compost. In fact, I kind of suspect they may add more value than just about any other plant matter. I compost a lot of weeds in situ. I consider them a valuable resource.

2) tomatoes and potatoes I am very leery of, in fact don't use them in my compost at all. I do this even though I never have fungus or visible problems with it. Those plants can harbor diseases/fungal spores that I can't necessarily see. So, I just don't risk it as I have plenty of other materials.

I will add, in all honesty, I don't own a single fungus treatment product and almost never have seen any fungus problems and I live in probably the LEAST ideal area for fungus...high heat, high humidity. I attribute that to the above practices as well as crop rotation, soil replenishment, application of green manure (turned into the soil while green), and extensive use of cover crops. My gut feeling is that these practices are far more important to protection from fungus than people realize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I can only speak from my experience so here goes:

1) weeds are mostly great for hot compost. In fact, I kind of suspect they may add more value than just about any other plant matter. I compost a lot of weeds in situ. I consider them a valuable resource.

2) tomatoes and potatoes I am very leery of, in fact don't use them in my compost at all. I do this even though I never have fungus or visible problems with it. Those plants can harbor diseases/fungal spores that I can't necessarily see. So, I just don't risk it as I have plenty of other materials.

I will add, in all honesty, I don't own a single fungus treatment product and almost never have seen any fungus problems and I live in probably the LEAST ideal area for fungus...high heat, high humidity. I attribute that to the above practices as well as crop rotation, soil replenishment, application of green manure (turned into the soil while green), and extensive use of cover crops. My gut feeling is that these practices are far more important to protection from fungus than people realize.
that is enough for me. Burn them from here on out. TY!

Ask a Question