Tomato and potato hacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wanted to share my tomato and potato hacks, (which were passed on to me), and ask if anyone else has any experience o them. I've been planting up my tomato side shoots for a few years, with great success. Once they are a few inches long I pinch them out and put them in water for a couple of weeks until they have a good root system, then just plant them up. I recently began doing this with potatoes. After chitting them I carefully remove a couple of shoots and plant them up. They develop leaves within a couple of days and grow well. I had a good crop last year and intend to do more this year. Does anybody else have experiences of this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I have heard of propagating tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) by cutting. Are these tomatoes that you overwinter in a greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I have heard of propagating tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) by cutting. Are these tomatoes that you overwinter in a greenhouse?
No just seedlings I grow in spring. When the sideshoits are big enough I pinch them out as normal. Once in water they grow a lot of roots within couple of weeks

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, side shoots on tomatoes are relatively easy to "plant up". I extend my growing season by throwing dirt on the side shoots and using them for fall tomatoes. Works for me.

I'm not sure I understand your potato "hack". Are you planting eyes without any supporting cut potato? Also, I've found chitting to be a waste of time in my climate. The far more important thing is to plant at just the time that enables the new shoots to grow above ground without freeze/frost damage which can significantly reduce production. That date for my region has been Valentine's Day for many many years.

My best "hack" for potatoes is to hill them up multiple times during the growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, side shoots on tomatoes are relatively easy to "plant up". I extend my growing season by throwing dirt on the side shoots and using them for fall tomatoes. Works for me.

I'm not sure I understand your potato "hack". Are you planting eyes without any supporting cut potato? Also, I've found chitting to be a waste of time in my climate. The far more important thing is to plant at just the time that enables the new shoots to grow above ground without freeze/frost damage which can significantly reduce production. That date for my region has been Valentine's Day for many many years.

My best "hack" for potatoes is to hill them up multiple times during the growth.
Yes we had very late frosts last year so planting out was late. Yes, planting the shoots unsupported, just on their own. Controversial maybe, but it worked

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You don't need the couple of weeks in water; straight into dsmp compost & they'll have roots in a fortnight.
Cucumbers are slower & a bit less reliable, but they do the same.

Ask a Question