Companion planting guides say Tomatoes and Potatoes shouldn't be planted near each other

KTC

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a few potatoes spring up in a bed I've put tomatoes in this year. Should I pull them out or will the few be alright with the many tomato plants. Anyone have experience with these two together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did the guides you read say why? Make sure you're reading reliable advice...there's a whole lot of :poop: online masquerading as advixe!:)

The only reason I can think of - and it's a bit of a stretch - is that if you're in an area prone to blight/fungus, it attacks all nightshade plants which include tomatoes and potatoes. But like I said, that's a stretch. And you don't say where you live, so the blight thing may or may not be an issue.

That said, yes I've grown them together with no issues. And when we had a couple of very rainy growing seasons, blight (not uncommon where I live) compromised all my tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants. But I wouldn't see that as a reason not to plant them close to eachother, since that fungus is in the soil, not spread plant to plant.

If you are in an arid region, blight probably is not an issue for you.

KTC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blight was the reason stated (I'm in upstate NY). While others in my area have had tomatoes decimated by blight, (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem. Wondering if allowing a few rogue potato plants will accentuate the risk or not.

Ask a Question