Companion planting help

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In terms of raised bed and companions, is it okay to plant bad companions near each other but in separate beds?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got any cites? Not everything you read is true. :)

Never heard of this in regards to vegetables or annuals. I guess you don't want to plant short, sun-loving plants next to ones that get tall and bushy.

Now there are allelopathic plants, but they are mostly trees you don't want to put vegetables and such under, but most people don't plant vegetables under trees. Maybe allelopathy is what you read about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got any cites? Not everything you read is true. :)

Never heard of this in regards to vegetables or annuals. I guess you don't want to plant short, sun-loving plants next to ones that get tall and bushy.

Now there are allelopathic plants, but they are mostly trees you don't want to put vegetables and such under, but most people don't plant vegetables under trees. Maybe allelopathy is what you read about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy
Not sure, and I can't find the article I read... Might have been in sunset magazine. I might just have to try it anyway and see how it turns out! In San Diego. Zone 10

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
What are you hoping to achieve with companion planting? If you're looking to keep pests away, I just did an article on some plants that are known to be natural repellents.

lemongrass - smells great and can be used in culinary, repels mosquitos and other insects
marigolds - helps repel nematodes, adds aesthetics to your garden, can also enrich your soil
pitcher plants - carnivorous plants that actually eat insects, much like the venus fly trap

As far as "bad" companion plants, I would suggest not planting them together if you're research tells you not to. BUT If your question is about soil quality or nutrient distribution between the two plants, then yes you should be alright if they are in separate beds. They will not be sharing the same soil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't think it is practical to do that companion planting or mixing different vegetables in one plot. First is the fertilizer and second is the water. There are plants that need more water than other plants so what happens if the companion is the exact opposite in terms of water needs? I guess it is easy to resolve that issue - just make another plot for the other plant or maybe divide the length of the plot into 2 so you can plant 2 kinds of vegetables but with a plot divider.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think it is practical to do that companion planting or mixing different vegetables in one plot. First is the fertilizer and second is the water. There are plants that need more water than other plants so what happens if the companion is the exact opposite in terms of water needs? I guess it is easy to resolve that issue - just make another plot for the other plant or maybe divide the length of the plot into 2 so you can plant 2 kinds of vegetables but with a plot divider.
I've done companion planting for several years and never had any issues like you're talking about. Don't knock it until ya try it!

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You just use a balanced fertilizer and do a little research and you shouldn't have issues. It's actually more practical than separating every vegetable, especially if you are tight on space, as we are.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What are you hoping to achieve with companion planting? If you're looking to keep pests away, I just did an article on some plants that are known to be natural repellents.

lemongrass - smells great and can be used in culinary, repels mosquitos and other insects
marigolds - helps repel nematodes, adds aesthetics to your garden, can also enrich your soil
pitcher plants - carnivorous plants that actually eat insects, much like the venus fly trap

http://the-urban-farmer.com/garden-thoughts/companion-plants/

As far as "bad" companion plants, I would suggest not planting them together if you're research tells you not to. BUT If your question is about soil quality or nutrient distribution between the two plants, then yes you should be alright if they are in separate beds. They will not be sharing the same soil.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

Ask a Question