Where can i learn about companion planting?

Reaction score
Last year I grew a bunch of tomato plants and surrounded them with fennel. We had a horrible yield off our plants that time and it was mentioned that the fennel could make your tomato plants not produce.

I knew that companion planting could help plants and keep bugs away from some. I didn't realize how much of a pain it could cause.

Where or how can I learn more about companion planting for this years garden?

Reaction score
Have a look at the attached, hope it helps. Credit to Garden Organic

Attachments

• Companion or mixed planting.pdf
    142.9 KB · Views: 823
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are quite a lot of useful articles online with information on companion planting. If I remember correctly, basil is a good companion for tomatoes. Not everyone agrees on what is beneficial, but you can google "Companion plants for tomatoes" to see what people say they have had the most success with.

You can also plant herbs in containers and position them near your food plants. That way when you rotate crops you can move the herbs around to where you need them.

Here's something specific to tomatoes:
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/vegetablesherbs/p/tomatocompanion.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There are quite a lot of useful articles online with information on companion planting. If I remember correctly, basil is a good companion for tomatoes.

It's interesting to know that they grow well together given that the flavours also work so well together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that's generally the idea, Becky. Though I think there are some plants that compliment each other in food dishes that don't necessarily grow well side by side. I guess it's because of the different plants' soil requirements.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Companion plants helping to keep the pest under control is a good idea. I understand marigolds are good to help keep the pest under control also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was looking at some of the plants in the raised beds at the farmer's market yesterday. There were greens planted with onions and some other things. One of the things about companion planting besides pest control is that some plants put things into the soil that others need. It's definitely something worth researching.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I plant peppers and onions and basil under my tomatoes and they LOVE each other. I use Pinterest quite a bit to find info and a little trial and error! Good luck!

Ask a Question