2017 Where Did You Suceed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
:)My season is winding down, a lot of hard work and some satisfying accomplishment. This year I planted some of the plants I grew in the front yard. Each year I strive for more in the start to finish process, this year seed to a few things for the yard. Lots of weeds and rocks to deal with too.

The fountain was on the side of the house and non functional. The mound was a mess from an old Bougainvillea that had been there, got frost and died. Redid it with Gazinia - Blanket Flower and Salvia around the fountain all grown from seed .

Gardening - Front Yard 91820171.JPG

Mexican Sunflower from seed :)
IMG_0792.JPG

Some Yarrow seen just below the mail box in the secong picture, from seed :).
Gardening - Front Yard 91820174.JPG

The fence. About 5 years ago I planned this, put up the fence, the little boarder at bottom, rocks behind. Purple Coneflower, Salvia, Verbena, Straw Flower and Mexican Sunflower.... All from seed :) There were a few issues here and there bit overall I'm happy with it.
Gardening - Front Yard 91820177.JPG

My Butterfly Bush installation, not the best, a little better in person, will get better, I was happy with the concept. All from seed :)
Gardening - Front Yard 918201710.JPG

The Verbena entry way. Verbena is new as are the red bricks. Verbena from seed :)
Gardening - Front Yard 918201714.JPG

Strawflower along the fence
Gardening - Front Yard 918201715.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to log off and saw this lovely fountain. The fountain is gorgeous adds so much class to the garden!

Funny how I like similar plants. I love blanket flowers - saw them a few years ago. Bought seed packets read the back only to find to sow seeds in autumn and put to backburner. I saw one for sale for £1 this year. Boy, I was so thrilled and bought it. For the first time, I have had blanket flowers.

And I love achilleas as well. Verbena - I have had too much success and they self-seeded everywhere and they now have put me in panic mode! Too many, I have already put 5 of them in pots. Got to go or the understudy will discover that he has a lazy supervisor! :p

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
On closer look, I noticed I have butterfly bushes as well! Great minds think alike, @Greenhorn !

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My biggest success this year was New England Aster. I had a few last year, but then I seeded it heavily last winter and wasn't sure what the results would be. In Spring, the area flooded so bad it was flowing like a small stream, I was worried they all got washed away. Turns out, they didn't. I have all sorts of New England Aster now. I dedicated a pretty decent part of my native garden to it since it's so colorful in a time of year where everything else has faded away.

IMG_6526 copy.jpg

IMG_6545 copy.jpg

IMG_6548 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Those colours are amazing.. Very pretty and different. I think I might have 2 from last year.

Ask a Question