Thanksgiving USA, 2017

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Amid all the turmoil in these trying times, we truly have so much to be thankful for in the United States, the utmost being our freedom. May you all have a thoughtful and happy Thanksgiving, and may God continue to bless us.
My%20Country%20'Tis%20of%20Thee%20-%20Samuel%20Francis%20Smith.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow, to all my forum friends in the USA :).

As I'm on the other side of the pond, I'm a little unfamiliar with what Thanksgiving is (other than it's a big harvest festival). Is it a very big national holiday, on the same sort of scale as Christmas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow, to all my forum friends in the USA :).

As I'm on the other side of the pond, I'm a little unfamiliar with what Thanksgiving is (other than it's a big harvest festival). Is it a very big national holiday, on the same sort of scale as Christmas?
Yes, Thanksgiving is a very big national holiday and since it's very close to Christmas, it's kind of like one big holiday.

When I was in the military it was always a challenge to set up the Leave policy this time of year with everyone making a decision when they wanted to go home, i.e. you either got to go home during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I remember making a lot of "deals" with my shipmates on things like, "I'll take Thanksgiving and you get Christmas, if you do this..." :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice having 2 holidays so close together :D. I see why they call it a "holiday season" now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Nice having 2 holidays so close together :D. I see why they call it a "holiday season" now!
And why most of us don't even want to think about Christmas till this is over with. Its pretty big, involves more people traveling to family/friends gatherings than at Christmas. Lots of food.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm a little unfamiliar with what Thanksgiving is (other than it's a big harvest festival). Is it a very big national holiday, on the same sort of scale as Christmas?

In the current day, Thanksgiving and Christmas are very similar, just without presents or religion. Both are about being with family, eating a big meal, and pretending not to be annoyed by each other. I'd say it's the third big holiday behind Christmas and Independence Day. Very recently, it's also become the start of a shopping frenzy where people trample each other to get great deals on low-quality items and average deals on the good stuff. :ROFLMAO:

The history of Thanksgiving is what's most interesting, mainly because no one really knows anything about it. We don't know when or how it started. There is no real knowledge of what we are celebrating. Common stories say it started with the pilgrims feasting after their first large harvest, but historians say there is no evidence of there being any link between that time and our Thanksgiving holiday. Just about every version of how it started is filled with assumptions. I guess we continue celebrating it just because we love eating and hate ending traditions. :LOL:

Indeed. It also includes Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and ends with New Year's Eve and Day.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
pretending not to be annoyed by each other.

Haha! This is the most difficult bit!

Very recently, it's also become the start of a shopping frenzy where people trample each other to get great deals on low-quality items and average deals on the good stuff. :ROFLMAO:

How true! The worst bit was that I was always too late.. I only managed to see empty shelves and that I knew someone must have a bargain or two. It's like these places had been ravaged by hurricanes. The trouble was that a lot of dodgy goods were hyped up and idiots like me fell for it. I now have resigned to the practice that I shouldn't buy any white goods before Christmas. Too much congestion and putting delivery men under such strain is not humane ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Pecan pie baked. have whipped cream for it. Turkey with stuffing inside in oven now. should be done by 2PM. will make mashed potatoes at about 1PM and have brussel sprouts to saute later, make the gravy after the turkey is done, open can of cranberries. the turkey bone broth I made last month is being used as the basting along with the butter on the turkey right now. going to try to hang some Christmas lights outside. chilly day. have plenty of wine for later. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My Thanksgiving turkey that I had in the freezer went bad when we lost power after Hurricane Irma. I never throw food in the trash, I compost everything, but when I have a large turkey or other type meat, I feed the vultures. This is from yesterday...Happy Thanksgiving to the local vultures:)

020.JPG
032.JPG
030.JPG
021.JPG

Ask a Question