Thanksgiving USA, 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Happy Thanksgiving to every one. Its time to put the Prime rib in the oven and frost the fruit cakes . I'll put on a few pounds the season but that comes with the season.

Finally, someone besides me that likes fruitcake! I love fruitcake with confectioners sugar icing. I also like it soaked in spiced rum. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Finally, someone besides me that likes fruitcake! I love fruitcake with confectioners sugar icing. I also like it soaked in spiced rum. (y)

We have a fruit cake recipe that comes from my grandmother in Virginia that my mother (now 100 years old) used to make when I was a kid. She can't make it any longer, but we do. It puts to shame the fruitcakes you buy in a store. No wonder people hate those things.

Here's the recipe from our family cookbook put together in 1998:

IMG_20171123_0001.jpg

IMG_20171123_0003.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=69998
Near the end of the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln declared the last Thursday in November to be a "day of thanksgiving."
Turkey became the food of choice for the holiday. I know not why, but I'm thankful the food of choice for the holiday wasn't sausage. I don't have anything against sausage, but the thought of preparing sausage for a large crowd just isn't appealing.
We are traditional--for Thanksgiving, turkey and dressing, homemade crescent rolls, gravy, green beans almondine, baked corn, cranberry sauce (homemade), crudites, and for dessert, a nice pumpkin pie with whipped cream. We serve a good Reisling with the main course, and coffee with the pie.
I love Thanksgiving--I get to spend two days in the kitchen, and then after Thanksgiving, I get to start my Christmas baking. Can it ever get better than this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Off for a lovely Thanksgiving walk soon. digesting needed a little bit. all tasted great. gravy was perfect, very flavorful. use turkey bone broth I made a month ago for basting so that added to it, instead of just water at the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have a fruit cake recipe that comes from my grandmother in Virginia that my mother (now 100 years old) used to make when I was a kid. She can't make it any longer, but we do. It puts to shame the fruitcakes you buy in a store. No wonder people hate those things.

View attachment 29824

View attachment 29825

View attachment 29824

View attachment 29825

I love your recipe, I use my spice cake recipe for the base and add just about every thing you do just not the dates, I also add the candied fruit to it, and a 1/2 tsp of rum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, Thanksgiving is a very big national holiday and since it's very close to Christmas, it's kind of like one big holiday.

When I was in the military it was always a challenge to set up the Leave policy this time of year with everyone making a decision when they wanted to go home, i.e. you either got to go home during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I remember making a lot of "deals" with my shipmates on things like, "I'll take Thanksgiving and you get Christmas, if you do this..." :D
Nice having 2 holidays so close together :D. I see why they call it a "holiday season" now!
Yes, that is why we call it the holiday season, but I forgot to add one other holiday that is included in the Holiday Season and is an appropriate ending to the season and a beginning for the new season.

New Year's Day.

Ask a Question