19 December 2017 Kefir

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/December 2017/19 December 2017 Kefir/HTML/ 19 December 2017 Kefir
Making kefir. The grains are supplied from the previous batch. A large spoonful is added to whole pasteurized homogenized milk and allowed to ferment at about 20C for 30 hours until the whey separates from the solids. I drink the mixed whey and solids. It is pleasant and never sour. I do not strain the grains and find the bacteria is present in all parts separated or not. This process makes reproducing dead simple.
001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I has still got a sachet, but the comments by the sender have put me off them. @Durgan - you're so health conscious.
From the wiki;

Kefir or kephir (/kəˈfir/ kə-FEER),[1][2]alternatively milk kefir, or búlgaros, is a fermented milk drink that originated in the Caucasus Mountains made with kefir "grains", a yeast/bacterial fermentation starter.[3] It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep milk with kefir grains.[4] Traditional kefir was made in goatskin bags that were hung near a doorway; the bag would be knocked by anyone passing through to help keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed.[5]

Goatskin should be quite tough and the content safe from head lice!? :eek::D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There is little to compare buttermilk to kefir. Kefir is a highly fermented food whereas buttermilk is not. Kefir and yogurt are sightly related except kefir has more and different bacteria.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Durgan: please describe its flavour. I have one packet from Holland and when I watched someone drinking it, she looked like she's being executed live on air!

THAT REALLY PUTS ME OFF!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The longer it ferments the more sour it becomes. Don't allow it to ferment until it separates. Or just use it as separation begins. I am tolerant and don't object to its texture or taste . It can vary from creamy flavor to sour depending upon the length of time allowed to ferment. Use pint jars and practice a bit.
Get your first grains from somebody who makes it, or you can order off the internet. The last forever or so it seems.

Most people only eat the solids, I simply stir the lot after removing grains for the next batch, and drink it. Whether it is as good as touted on the internet is probably subjective. But it appears to have various probotic bacteria.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much. What room temperature does it need? I can't quite remember. They have collected the data and said that it was full of probiotic bacteria.. I'm not used to leaving them on and on and on .. Sounds a bit outlandish to me. But what do I know? I will bear that in mind. The sender had an operation and couldn't take it and so he sent it to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Kefir ferments around room temperature. Around 20C. I use one of my five gallon pails and the temperature gets s high as 24C, which appears to be about right. I have also covered with a cloth and placed in an obscure kitchen cupboard. Fermenting takes 24 to 30 hours to separate.
If not making regularly simply place it in the refrigerator in a closed jar. Th culture seems almost impossible to kill except excessive heat.

To see if it is beneficial do a test by consuming daily for around a month. A pint appears to be about the right amount.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very good info, Durgan .. Thank you once again. (y)(y)(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/December 2017/23 December 2017 Kefir/HTML/23 December 2017 Kefir

Preparation of kefir. This takes a few minutes. Experience has indicated that the culture is present throughout the fermented kefir, meaning there is no point in straining the grains out. Homogenized milk (400ml) is mixed with a tablespoon of solids and placed in a 20C area for 24 hours until the solids and whey separate. I simply stir the mixture and drink a glass daily. Pictures depict the procedure.
23%20december%202017%20kefir%20003_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/December 2017/28 December 2017 Kefir/HTML/28 December 2017 Kefir

Daily making of kefir simplified. Tablespoon of solids is removed from an old batch, mixed with 400 ml of whole milk, placed in a clean half pint jar and set in a dark place at room temperature ~20C for 24 to 30 hours until whey separates out. The remainder is mixed and consumed. Probiotics for the day.
28%20december%202017%20kefir%20008_std.jpg

Ask a Question