Where are they?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I noticed that 40 people have Jan. 1 listed as their birthday. Since I'm on the computer procrastinating doing my chores, I looked at each name.
I didn't recognize any as posters! Where are they? Do people just sign up and then move on? This is a friendly and interesting forum--they ought to stick around and enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Some of us just float in and out depending on how much time we have. I am guilty of visiting other forums too.

I'll try to not be so naughty and post more but I won't post just for the sake of posting. It will be because I have something to say/add. But if I don't have anything to say, I'll at least try to like a post so that the author knows I'm paying attention :)

Happy New Year to everyone who stuck it out all year and those who came back! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I find it amazing the amount of people who sign up to ask a question, and never return with a minimum of a thank you when an answer is given. The odd part is, I'm on many a forum, and will see the same question by the same poster, with the same result.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love how the moderators of this forum take everyone's questions seriously and truly try to help. That was nice of you, Zigs. And Ian always tries to fix all of our technical problems immediately! So nice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is a good size and active forum with 4,596 members as of this writing. We have a few dozen you could call regular posters, a few dozen and a bit more you could call occasional posters, and a few dozen and a wee bit more that post once in a blue moon. The sad reality is for MOST forums the great majority sign up and never post or sign up and post 1, 2 or 3 times and then drop out. It's the nature of the beast.

I belong to a number of forums. I have to say, Ian and Zigs are top notch. I belong to forums that I don't even know who the admin and moderator(s) are. I think one reason GF and it's sister forum, GPF, are successful is because the admin and moderators take an active role.
clipart-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-256x256-8595.png

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, that's nice of you :):):)

The forums are what the members make it too. I wouldn't have spotted the unusual amount of birthdays if MG hadn't have pointed them out :droid:

I'm guessing 01/01 is a default birthdate, spammers wouldn't bother putting their real date in.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't recognize any as posters! Where are they? Do people just sign up and then move on?

People are weird. :confused: :cautious:

The only time I understand "one-post and out," is if they have one question, and that's all they need. Along the lines of "I bought a house/ was given a gift/ saw this and want to buy one..." so please tell me "What is it, (and/or) how do I care for it?" In other words, not really true gardeners, but just want to take care of something existing in the yard, or buy a special something... :unsure:

The ones that baffle me are the ones that sign up, add an avatar, post an interesting introduction thread, and then disappear. o_O What? Why? :confused:

Or the ones that sign up, add an avatar, make one post.. something like, "I have one of those!!" and they disappear, never to be heard nor seen again. :cautious:

Sometimes when I am bored, I start randomly clicking things on the forum. :ROFLMAO:

One time I saw a "new" name under "Members Online Now" so I clicked it. Apparently we have an 80 year old lady that signs on to read things, but has never posted anything. She's been a member two years longer than I have. :confused: Why? I don't know.. Maybe so she can see people's hardiness zone? Maybe so she doesn't have to look at the advertising? It is a mystery...

There is also a man who joined, and posted nothing other than a message on his profile page - stating that he was interested in finding other men. I'm not against that, and I do know people that have found love online, but somehow, that seems like the wrong way to go about it! :LOL:

Yeah... People are weird.

Ask a Question