Where are the flowers on my hydrangea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very healthy Hydrangea in a large tub (2 years old) but this year it only has one flower, I have fed and kept it watered, also protected in the winter as we are in Scotland. Could anyone help by explaining why?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This bit might be useful

When your hydrangea won’t bloom, it is because of the species of hydrangea you have planted. Some of them grow flowers off of new wood and some of them will grow flowers off of old wood. If your hydrangea won’t flower, then you need to figure out if this is the variety you have planted.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Reasons And Fixes For A Hydrangea Not Blooming

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/hydrangea/hydrangea-not-blooming.htm

Do you know the name of your hydrangea?

If you don't like reading, you can be talked through the reasons here!

To ID your hydrangea, video here please!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This bit might be useful

When your hydrangea won’t bloom, it is because of the species of hydrangea you have planted. Some of them grow flowers off of new wood and some of them will grow flowers off of old wood. If your hydrangea won’t flower, then you need to figure out if this is the variety you have planted.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Reasons And Fixes For A Hydrangea Not Blooming

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/hydrangea/hydrangea-not-blooming.htm

Do you know the name of your hydrangea?

If you don't like reading, you can be talked through the reasons here!

To ID your hydrangea, video here please!

Thanks for that information. The hydrangea in question is: Cityline Nizza (ranice). Is that of any help?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hydrangea macrophylla Nizza = 'Ranice' Macrophylla flowers on old wood. So perhaps you have a severe winter and either the old woods have died down and new woods won't flower. Or a hard frost descended on your buds when they tried to develop. Or you have pruned them. Remember, don't prune unless they are very big.

The other link shows you how to overwinter the plant to protect the whole plant and to protect the buds.

Now that you know it is macrophylla, if you watch the videos again, you will have a much better picture. You have helped me learn all this information. I didn't have a clue before I attempt your question. I am no expert. I'm nosy, bossy and am not much good at web design and hence I welcome all distractions. LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you Prune it vary hard?.......... That is often the reason Hydrangeas don't flower. They are best left To grow to there desired Size with vary little Pruning. If & when you Do it is best done in March in the UK & only Prune to help Shape & help it dense up if desired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hydrangea macrophylla Nizza = 'Ranice' Macrophylla flowers on old wood. So perhaps you have a severe winter and either the old woods have died down and new woods won't flower. Or a hard frost descended on your buds when they tried to develop. Or you have pruned them. Remember, don't prune unless they are very big.

The other link shows you how to overwinter the plant to protect the whole plant and to protect the buds.

Now that you know it is macrophylla, if you watch the videos again, you will have a much better picture. You have helped me learn all this information. I didn't have a clue before I attempt your question. I am no expert. I'm nosy, bossy and am not much good at web design and hence I welcome all distractions. LOL!

Thanks so much alp for all the info. I believe the problem was the pruning, there were no buds and although we had some nights
minus 10 in Scotland I did wrap it up quite well. Anyway will study the video tomorrow.
Keep being bossy and nosy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m growing “Endless Summer “ Hydrangeas here in zone 5.
Out of at least 15-20 well-established plants, only two have bloomed.
We have a wooded lot around the garden, and the Hydrangeas had always been happy in the past in part sun/part shade.
This variety blooms on old and new wood. The leaves appear dark green and healthy.
We have arborists to trim, feed and treat any unhealthy trees.
I’m wondering if the fertilizer that is being injected into the ground is not the proper ratio for Hydrangeas.
Ive not had any problems with any other floweing perennials.
Do Hydrangeas sometimes take a year off from blooming to restore their energy reserves?
Also, we only prune out dead wood after the plants have fully leafed out.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think this video is most useful. Might be a good idea to lay off the pruning and add a bit of fertilisers in Spring. Also, did you have frost last winter? Frost can kill the developing buds!

Ask a Question