What are the most common wild flowers and weeds where you live?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just looking up pictures of Oxeye daises, and was thinking about how I'm always seeing them across highways and boardwalks in my local town in New Hampshire. It got me to thinking, what are some of the most common wildflowers, plants, and weeds around the world? I'm sure it must vary from climate to climate, so it'd be interesting to hear or see pictures of which ones you see a lot in other places. Here in New Hampshire, we have a lot of Milkweed, Tick-trefoil, and water peppers everywhere. What about where you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I live in Poland. We have lots and lots of dandelions here, in my area there are whole fields of dandelions, it looks gorgeous. I also see a lot of daisies, plantain and nettles:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I live in Ontario Canada and we also have lots of dandelions. I also see a lot of black eyed susans, Daylily, Fleabane and Daisies. The ditches seem to be full of Daylilies this year and I must say it is a pretty sight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I live in Ontario Canada and we also have lots of dandelions. I also see a lot of black eyed susans, Daylily, Fleabane and Daisies. The ditches seem to be full of Daylilies this year and I must say it is a pretty sight.

I love Daylilies! They're gorgeous and I like their intense color. It looks so cheerful. They grow here too, but unfortunately they aren't too common. I planted some in my garden:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The most common wild flowers are the Shasta Daisies, several varieties of lupine, foxgloves and California poppies. These are the ones you see along the rode ways here in Western Washington state.

Reaction score
Here in New Jersey we have a bunch of wild flowers that I don't even know the names of. We do have buttercups, dandelions, tiger lilies (not sure if they are actually wild, but they spread and I find them in many places), Queen Anne's Lace, little white flowers and little purple flowers. Morning glories are probably wild too since they seem to spread and we find them all over.

We also have all sorts of weeds down by the river. There is a big combination including skunk cabbage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We also have some wild flowers that I don't know the names of, at least not the English ones. For example, this plant is very popular here, it grows everywhere:

g5fQS0rwQnoS2BsVsB.jpg

Do you know the name of the plant?

Reaction score
I'm in Connecticut, US. We have quite a variety of wildflowers and weeds common to this part of the country such as buttercup, aster, fleabane, milkweed, dandelion, goldenrod, wild mint, etc., etc., etc. The list is endless! Yellow flag iris grows wild here and is considered an invasive plant as are many of the non native garden plants once they escape the restrictions of the garden.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We also have some wild flowers that I don't know the names of, at least not the English ones. For example, this plant is very popular here, it grows everywhere:

g5fQS0rwQnoS2BsVsB.jpg

Do you know the name of the plant?

Looks like Meadow Buttercup Claudine, if it were the Bulbous Buttercup it would have downturned sepals (the green bits under the petals)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Maryland, the milkweed is the one I am always pulling up and I see it around a lot. The other weed that seems to want to take over is a vine, I don't know the name of the plant but it has a strong hold on one of the plants in the backyard. I have tried to find the roots to pull it up after cutting it from the plant but it just comes back. It is a fight to save the bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Looks like Meadow Buttercup Claudine, if it were the Bulbous Buttercup it would have downturned sepals (the green bits under the petals)
You are right, I'm sure it's Meadow Buttercup, thank you:) This plant is so pretty! I know that many people consider it a weed, but in my opinion it's worth growing:) I love its small, yellow flowers!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are lovely.

There's a silly thing folk do over here, you hold a Buttercup under someones chin, and if the yellow reflects onto their chin, they are supposed to like Butter.

Reaction score
Where I live there are so many different types of weeds and wildflowers, most of which are called and classed as weeds here, but to others if I were to list them all, it would sound as though I was describing a list of ornamental plants, herbs, vegetables and even fruits, so here are just a few of the ones that I encounter on a very regular basis.

Lavender

wildflowers lavender.jpg

Anagallis or Blue pimpernel

wild-flower-Anagallis monelli.jpg

Chamomile and everything in the daisy family

wwild chamomile 1.jpg

Convolvulus and Ipomea or bindweed otherwise known as Morning Glory

wild convolulus.jpg

and my favorite Wild Gladiolas

wild gladiolus-italicus1.jpg

which often land up in the garden looking like this

wilg gladiolas.jpg

The bindweed and chamomile are probably the two that cause the biggest problem, but especially the bindweed which I often catch trying to strangle my plants.:D

Zigs - have heard that before about buttercups, even tried it and yes, it did reflect - even though I can't even eat butter :D

Reaction score
Well, over here morning glories grow like crazy :p They grow almost everywhere! In the summer they start popping out everwhere! So over here they're considered a wild flower :) We also have some tiny tiny yellow flowers growing in areas with a lot grass. We also have some pretty daisies :)

Reaction score
In Florida, we have a lot of Clematis, Shepherd's Needles and False Garlic growing wild. They're so common that you don't notice them and people just see them as weeds and mow them down.

Ask a Question