Planting onions

Reaction score
Country
United States
To begin, I live in Colorado. Jan - Feb are the coldest for us. Average temp is usually 40 - 60 days 20 - 30 nights

So, im a little confused about onions. They like cool weather but not hot...but take about 4 - 6 months to harvest? Then another thread mentioned you can winterize onions since they will take care of themselves and regrow on their own coming spring?

So, I am growing these onions from seeds, so My guess is I can winterize onion and leave them outside starting September / November? then after winter is over, they start to bulb spring coming summer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed. Your coldest temps make winter onions marginal, so have some horticultural fleece to hand in case you get a cold snap.
Feed soil now with fish, blood & bone, and a scattering of woodash if you can get it.
Don't plant out too early, or they'll grow too much, too early, and run to seed in the spring.
So this means your soil has time to absorb some of the fertiliser and you can plant your seedlings out, say, in a month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in Texas my temperatures are similar to yours. We plant seed in mid-October and set out the seedlings in Jan-Feb.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here in Texas my temperatures are similar to yours. We plant seed in mid-October and set out the seedlings in Jan-Feb.

Oh thank you!!! I might try this out. I feel like onions I just have to experiment lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh thank you!!! I might try this out. I feel like onions I just have to experiment lol.
What we do here when we do seeds is to plant them very thickly and grow them in the container until Dec-Jan, usually outside. Then when we are going to plant the seedlings we dig them out of the containers in a bunch about the size of your hand. In good potting soil you can grab a handful of the tops and pull them out. The roots are all intermingled but they separate easily and if you do damage the roots it doesn't really hurt them. I usually let mine dry out for 2 or 3 weeks before planting them. Just wash away the dirt from the roots, separate and plant the white part about 1" - 1 1/2" deep.

Ask a Question