Tomato disease help identify

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,
four of my tomato plants growing indoors under a light have died off and I am confused about the symptoms. Any help with diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

At first I noticed some of the leaves drooping on one of the plants. I was also having a massive fungus gnat infestation, so I was certain they were the cause of the issue, inhibiting water uptake. But after reducing their numbers to a more manageable population the problems didn't go away.
Instead I noticed further signs, like leaves curling (upwards and downwards), so after some googling I thought it must be a viral issue. I should notice, that the growing space is quite small, with leaves touching each other. I also handled the plants with my bare hands from time to time. The soil used is from a commercial brand.
Lastly I also noticed some weird spotting on the stem, also making me consider a fungal or bacterial cause.

Here are some pictures:
36A9F397-2EEC-42AE-9A39-AA8B44F916A9.jpegCC955648-F0B2-4F5C-A841-D241528F3B04.jpeg306BFEDE-B778-4EFD-B71D-FC8C20C58657.jpegEF444772-B624-403E-9E87-84773C4EAFAE.jpegD2CDBC6C-02C6-478A-B961-0FDEDDA64C23.jpeg
Leaf undersides Leaf tops Stem Stem Cross sections of stems

Really I would like to know, how to prevent this from happening again.
Can I grow again in the same space?
Can I reuse the containers if cleaned and disinfected with alcohol?
Can I use the same type of soil if heat treated? Or, if I use different soil, may the gnats function as a disease vector from the remaining containers in the growing space?

Thank you for reading!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This COULD be a watering issue. Please send pics of the entire plants. Another possible cause could be Alternaria Stem Canker. In either event replace the soil and decontaminate the pots.

Last edited:

Ask a Question