Tomato disease or frost?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I grow a dozen heirloom tomatoes plants most years. This year I have had a variety of problems. But now please look at these photos to let me know if these lesions are frost damage? My soil does have some wilt disease. So it might be that. 20210918_102957.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Due to wetness the landscape around us has fostered a variety of opportunistic fungi. It has primarily been a weather related bloom, and the spores are just everywhere. Increased spraying is necessary, and realistically the addition of fertilizer is not out of place due to the increased leaching of nutrients that is also associated with a wetter than average year. Not sure about your climate exactly but since your complaint mirrors so many others I would not be suprised.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like late blight damage but how long ago did these symptoms appear in relation to your latest frost.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Due to wetness the landscape around us has fostered a variety of opportunistic fungi. It has primarily been a weather related bloom, and the spores are just everywhere. Increased spraying is necessary, and realistically the addition of fertilizer is not out of place due to the increased leaching of nutrients that is also associated with a wetter than average year. Not sure about your climate exactly but since your complaint mirrors so many others I would not be suprised.
What do you spray?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Were all varieties affected and what is/were the condition of the plants and fruit directly after this frost..
Most varieties are affected. But some of the smaller varieties, earliana, indigo red, and black krim fruits seem ok. All plants have wilted except for some top leaves..that last part makes me question frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most varieties are affected. But some of the smaller varieties, earliana, indigo red, and black krim fruits seem ok. All plants have wilted except for some top leaves..that last part makes me question frost.
Frost damage will immediately be apparent on the plant. Frost damage on fruit will at first look like sunscald. Then it will gradually start to rot. How long ago did the frost happen?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Frost damage will immediately be apparent on the plant. Frost damage on fruit will at first look like sunscald. Then it will gradually start to rot. How long ago did the frost happen?
If it happened ot would have been a week ago. The plants and fruit have been affected more than a week. I really think it is blight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If it happened ot would have been a week ago. The plants and fruit have been affected more than a week. I really think it is blight.
Phytophthora infestans is an oomycete or water mold. That is specifically targeted by the agri-fos and why I used it. I almost never see it but it tried to come here this year with all this rain. It is systemic over time because the plant thinks its phosporus but it is not, just close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Without a doubt it is late blight. The only way to fight late blight is sanitation and early preventative measures. One of the best things to do is plant blight resistant plants but this leaves out most heirlooms. If you are like me and don't like to grow these new hybrids start spraying with a good fungicide very early in the growing season and spray regularly. Remove and burn all of your infected plants.

Ask a Question