Tomatoes not producing, also sun damage?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody,

These are some tomatoes I grew from seed, started them indoors around February and put them in the ground around April (possibly later, they did get a late start).

I gave them some fish emulsion fertilizer a few days after transplant (which helped them get a lot bigger), and then hit them with some Trifecta+ (5-11-5 I think) about two weeks ago. I gave them the full dose, what they recommend for once a year (I believe about 1/4 cup per plant). That was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

The flowers on these girls look great, but for some reason they aren't producing many or any tomatoes. I have 8 tomato plants in all, looking overall very healthy, but I have only had about literally 6 tomatoes come in (4 of the Sweet 100 or similar variety, and 2 currently growing in on a larger variety).

I believe the varieties are Vinson Watts, Coyote Cherry, Brandywine, and a couple others I can't remember. Is it possible that my nutrients or pH are off? The plants overall look very good and are about 5-6 feet tall on average.

Also, some of the plants show minor tan / drying up on the edge of the leaves. This looks like sun damage to me, but any second opinions?

I recently switched my drip microsprinkler setup to the Antelco downward-spraying type (https://www.dripdepot.com/item/ante...WwwtvIe_wLTwZFZ8MKDK0RxjuCdb0qyxoCSb8QAvD_BwE), which the uneven spacing may have lead some some dry spots on the roots. Any thoughts on that?

Pictures attached for reference. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210912_120957~2[1].jpg
    20210912_120957~2[1].jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210912_121204_HDR[1].jpg
    20210912_121204_HDR[1].jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210912_121216~2[1].jpg
    20210912_121216~2[1].jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomatoes require a LOT more nutrition than you gave them. From at least May to Sept. they were not fed. Tomatoes should be fed at least every two weeks for best production. Next comes temperature. Tomatoes, with the exception of cherry varieties such as Sweet 100, are extremely picky when it comes to temperature and fruit set. All tomatoes set fruit at night and if the nighttime LOW temperatures are above about 74F the blooms will fall off. If the nighttime LOW temperature is below about 64F the fruit set is very limited to nonexistent and the blooms will fall off. Cherry varieties aren't nearly as demanding when it comes to temps. All tomatoes will stop producing when the daytime HIGH temperatures go much above 90F. There is only a short period of time that a tomato bloom is viable for pollination even though the blooms will stay on the plant for a week or more. Next is sunlight. Tomatoes require a minimum of 6 hours direct sunlight. In the first picture it appears that all of the plants limbs are mostly growing in the same direction which would be toward the sun. Even when a tomato plant is correctly fed, if it doesn't get enough sunlight its production will be greatly reduced, even to the point of no tomatoes at all. The browning of the leaves is not because of sunlight. On the last picture is shows complete yellowing of leaves. This is caused by a lack of N as in NPK, or nitrogen. These yellow or yellowing leaves will die and turn brown. Overall your plants seem to lack proper foliage. IMO they should be much much thicker with foliage and each limb should have more and larger leaves, especially at the bottom. It would also help if you finished filling out your profile on this site so we would know where you are located. It's easy. Just click on your name, go to account details and fill in the boxes.

Ask a Question