Are my tomatoes salvageable?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I could use some advice.

In spring i planted some tomatoes. I have never done outdoor gardening and I had no idea about tomatoes and I guess I didnt expect them to survive so I didnt even bother educating myself.

Despite my total neglect and ignorance, the plants are now taller than me and bearing a few green fruit and quite some flowers.

And I am hoping they can make some few red tomatoes and next year I will apply my lessons learned.

So some info:
- They are wild, I didnt know about pruning until few weeks ago. I have been removing suckers now.

- They are very root bound, as in the shortest is 5' (1,5m) tall and they are in one gallon containers. Yet they are still growing somehow!!

- They are now heavily flowering.

- They are in a foggy marine location, it never gets super hot or super cold and many mornings there is no sun.

So my questions:
- Are they beyond trying to save and should I just see if nature decides to ripen them.

- Should I transplant them or its too late.

- Should i trim the top so they stop growing and they focus on the fruit before its too late.

Thankyou so much for any tips

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF
The first answer to your questions
Yes you can save them, put them somewhere that is the sunniest

No don't transplant them,

Yes cut the top off after the 5th Truss or bunch of fruit or flowers.
You can cut off the lower leaves.
I hope that helps.

Ask a Question