Diseased tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I need some help with my tomato plants. I’ve researched lots and the only info I’ve found is that it’s a fungus, with the only remedy being to take the yellow/brown leaves off. Does this sound right?

please help!

Attachments

• 6AB23C09-01FF-4458-91DE-C4DD4FDFFEA3.jpeg
    6AB23C09-01FF-4458-91DE-C4DD4FDFFEA3.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 2073151C-B271-4E74-81E7-9A662F5FCBA3.jpeg
    2073151C-B271-4E74-81E7-9A662F5FCBA3.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 0D752B3D-023F-45D6-9E4D-7C26A94499A7.jpeg
    0D752B3D-023F-45D6-9E4D-7C26A94499A7.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dunno about the first two pics, but the third one i've recently seen with one of my tomatoes, and it was fixed with fertilizer. Had to pick the yellow parts off once they were at the point to fall right off after a tiny bit of bending.

Have you been checking the soil of the first two with your fingers before watering, and letting the first couple inches get dry first? I'm hoping that isn't root rot, but I've never seen it in person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don’t think a fish emulsion foliar spray would be so bad at this stage or you could side dress in some granular more balanced fertilizer. The fertility looks off. The ph could be too. Too much nitrogen at the wrong time can produce all green growth and little in the way of tomatoes, but those tomatoes don‘t look over fertilized to me, more like under. I sprayed my tomatoes a couple of times with fish emulsion in that first month or so and they all now have plenty of set fruit and lots of deep green foliage.

Don’t know which 9b zone you are in but if it‘s gulf or east coast 9b it would be getting late in the season to set a lot of tomatoes on anything but small and specialized types. There‘s a fruit set window that the typical gulf or lower east weather will likely close soon. When did those get put in the garden?

9b west coast/pacific is totally different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you have is called early blight and there is no fix. It is caused by a soil fungus that splashes up on the plant during a heavy rain or overhead watering. It is a major problem amongst tomato growers and the only thing to do is try to keep the plant from catching the fungus. You can mulch around the base of the plant which helps a lot. What I do is mulch and I also remove the lower limbs. I also sprinkle horticultural cornmeal around the base of the plant. You can spray with a fungicide but I have never any luck doing that.
You plant also needs fertilizing. It needs all three macro-nutrients (NPK) plus it needs a few trace minerals but at this late stage of the growing season NPK is the most important. If the nighttime low temperatures are 74F+ your plant will not set any more fruit unless it is a cherry type and yours appears to be a large fruited variety.

Ask a Question