Is my Alocasia amazonia diseased?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey people of gardening forums!

I'm new here, so if I am posting this in the wrong place, please do redirect me!

I live in central Germany and bought an Amazonia Elephant's Ear together with some other plants a few months ago, during spring! I was dazzled by the beauty of this plant and wanted to care for it.

For the last couple months, however, I have seen my plant in what seems a weaker and weaker state, so I thought (as I do not have all that much experience in caring for plants -but I am keen to learn!-) I'll buy her some liquid fertilizer and apply it every two weeks, which did help in some way (2 new leaves came out and a flower is starting to sprout as of now), but some of the other leafs are still dying in this strange way and I don't know if it may be some type of parasite of infestation.

Around her and her soil there are a fair few fruit flies at all times (might have to do with her being in the kitchen?), and on her leaves I can see some sort of spider web with tiny white dust (I assume it's dust, it could be something else) particles, which I take off with my hand.

Attached is a picture of one of the biggest leaves

4e0255-lb.jpg

And this is a dying tiny one.

cfa932-lb.jpg

I've already taken a couple of her dying eaves out because I could see they would not recover.

What should I do? Thanks everyone for helping me save my plant, I really want her to be well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey people of gardening forums!

I'm new here, so if I am posting this in the wrong place, please do redirect me!

I live in central Germany and bought an Amazonia Elephant's Ear together with some other plants a few months ago, during spring! I was dazzled by the beauty of this plant and wanted to care for it.

For the last couple months, however, I have seen my plant in what seems a weaker and weaker state, so I thought (as I do not have all that much experience in caring for plants -but I am keen to learn!-) I'll buy her some liquid fertilizer and apply it every two weeks, which did help in some way (2 new leaves came out and a flower is starting to sprout as of now), but some of the other leafs are still dying in this strange way and I don't know if it may be some type of parasite of infestation.

Around her and her soil there are a fair few fruit flies at all times (might have to do with her being in the kitchen?), and on her leaves I can see some sort of spider web with tiny white dust (I assume it's dust, it could be something else) particles, which I take off with my hand.

Attached is a picture of one of the biggest leaves

4e0255-lb.jpg

And this is a dying tiny one.

cfa932-lb.jpg

I've already taken a couple of her dying eaves out because I could see they would not recover.

What should I do? Thanks everyone for helping me save my plant, I really want her to be well.
Google whte spider mite picture and see if the white stuff is the same. Also I think you might be watering too often

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Google whte spider mite picture and see if the white stuff is the same. Also I think you might be watering too often
Oh Chuck, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one mate. I'm looking at solutions for them right now, however, if anyone's got some quick advice about them or how to deal with them, it would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh Chuck, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one mate. I'm looking at solutions for them right now, however, if anyone's got some quick advice about them or how to deal with them, it would be greatly appreciated!
Start a spray regimen of Neem Oil. It will smother the mites although not instantly. You might also use an insecticidal soap. I would use both.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Start a spray regimen of Neem Oil. It will smother the mites although not instantly. You might also use an insecticidal soap. I would use both.
I'm gonna go buy some cold-pressed neem oil online now and see if I've got any of that insecticidal detergent.

Cheers man, I'll give that a read immediately! I'm very new at house plants and realising that they're not just water and sun, but that's what makes it fun, right!?

Ask a Question