Help needed pronto on Diseased Strawberries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
Hi my names willy im a gardener from ireland, and i just bought a pack of strawberry seedlings in a local store called aldi 3 days ago, and the leaves have been turning brown at edges and base of stem and dying and becoming wilted. ive snipped all infected leaves off but the rest are turning still , you can see if you watch this video

skip halfway in and youll see me at my wee greenhouse showing you the diseased strawberries, it has since gotten worse

Reaction score
It would have been better just to have taken a couple of pictures,rather than a jerky video...

However.

You are doing the right thing by removing the leaves, the question is were they healthy when your bought them?

Did they have good root growth.?

What did you do next?

Pots look very wet, is it a free draining compost?

Is there a lot of air movement around them?

These are outdoor plants ,do not need protection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for the feedback PlantDoctor, I dont have much money so im saving up for a camera and a tripod but for now i just use my phone ...
when i bought them , the next day i transplanted them and i think there was maybe one dying leaf on them. put them in the gh and the next day there was several dying leaves, trimmed them off then the next day there was several more! so i will take them back outside now but not into the greenhouse incanse they infect my tomaotes. the roots seemed to be normal growth it came out in one go from the pot but one didnt have much roots. i dont know if its a free drianing compost how would i find out? its just mulit purpose compost from a local garden shop. the air can get into the greenhouse and it is a bit breezy in there yeah, i will check now this morining and see if its any worse and i will take some pictures ok
again, thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
I have placed them outside now, but the disease maybe has stopped spreading. they are brown around the edges as u can see and one is brown along the veins of the leaf so it may be verticulum wilt because i was working with other soil and i didnt wash my hands or try to sterilize the pots or anything like that

Attachments

• 20170404_154506.jpg
    20170404_154506.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 20170404_154512.jpg
    20170404_154512.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20170404_154516.jpg
    20170404_154516.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 20170404_154524.jpg
    20170404_154524.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 20170404_154528.jpg
    20170404_154528.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
It is not verticulum wilt,you need to remember you are dealing with plants ,not sugical patients, most plant diseases are airborne unless the soil is badly contaminated, think about it how many gardeners have you seen washing hands all the time?

It could just be the shock of being in a store, then going into a greenhouse ,and the temperature fluctuations .

They just need to settle down cut off any diseased material and they will be fine.

Stawberries are pretty tough characters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
ok yeah your right haha thanks Plant Doctor! Do you think they will be ok outside in Ireland? not even in a greenhouse? some leaves are diseased and they are the only leaves left on the plant like one diseased leaf but i dont want to kill the plant alltogether. the dying seems to have slowed way down since i brought them inside but i put them outside again maybe i shouldntv done that?
im glad they are hardy bucks because i am only a beginner lol

Reaction score
You can grow them in a greenhouse to get an early crop ,but pollination might be a problem.

They will do better outside, they are hardy plants and will survive the winter, in fact they need a good cold snap to induce flowering.

Even in Ireland they will survive, in a few months you should be picking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
i watched a vid that said you should let them send out runners for the first year and forget about the fruit until year two, is this the only way to do it ? or can you get a crop the first year if u snip the runners off?

Reaction score
You will get a small crop in year one, more in year two, top in year three then they tend to go down a bit.

So propogate from end of year two,then every year .

I would snip of the runners after fruiting this year to build up the plant, it takes energy to send out runners.

It is a never ending circle, once you have them established.

Ask a Question