United States
Can someone tell me what is happening?
Screenshot_20230707_165137_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is Blossom End Rot and there are many theories as to why this happens. Some are convinced it is improper watering. Others say it is a lack of calcium in the soil. Others like myself say it is because the plant is unable to uptake the calcium. I do know and many others know for a certified fact that in their soil there is a 100% cure against this disease, or whatever it is. This "cure" is using epsom salts. I use a handful when I plant the transplant and another handful when some of the first fruits are about 1/2 size. If I don't do this I will still grow a lot of tomatoes but every single one of them will have BER. Many others on the forum must also use epsom salts. Some don't use as much as I do and I am sure some use more. I use it on everything in my garden with the exception of corn and okra. It will not help a tomato that shows the rot, but it will stop further fruits from contacting BER in most cases. I have advised this approach for years on this forum and not a single person so far has posted back that it did not work except for one poster who only used a couple of tablespoons per gallon of water. I have fairly big hands and I estimate that a handful of ES is about 1/4 cup. I don't think it is excessive but others do. I just know it works. Try it. You might like it. What have you got to lose?

Ask a Question