I dont know what is happening with my Calathea Medallion

Reaction score
Country
Benin
Hello everyone!
I repotted my Calathea Medallion this morning, in a new pot with new soil. After a few hours, the leaves started to curl and they dropped completely. I gave it some water and it is still the same. What should I do ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Medallion Calathea (Goeppertia veitchiana, formerly Calathea veitchiana), in the Prayer-plant Family (Marantaceae), native to Ecuador. This plant wants bright shade or indirect light, regular water and good drainage, and will benefit from humid air.

If possible, post a photo of your plant including the soil and container.

If a plant begins to show wilt symptoms immediately after re-potting it may be due to sudden change in the soil, either poor drainage or conversely, a pocket of dry soil that is not wetting properly. Another possibility is that the roots or base of the stem was damaged during re-potting.

Examine the soil does it look excessively wet or dry? You may need to unpot the plant and look at the subsurface soil. Sometimes potting soil, especially peat-based potting soil but also other kinds, can become so dry that it becomes hydrophobic. If this is so, the soil must be soaked under water to be remoistened. and then drained. If this happens to a potted plant. the pot and rootball of the plant needs to be soaked for several hours or overnight. If the soil or the pot floats, it must be weighed down under water to soak properly

Ask a Question