The 2016 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh count me in, this sounds like so much fun! Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to see the results!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Growing well here!

20160530_134731.jpg

20160618_105840.jpg

Mine is the one on the right, and it's taller than Ian's :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm in but I don't think mine will be the tallest! I had several come up (from birds dropping the seeds I assume) in my asparagus bed. I left two of them; they are now dwarfed by my asparagus ferns.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Camera won't charge here :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I gave up on my sunflowers. They grew over 6 feet, but required too much water. The weather hadn't gotten hot yet, and I was watering them twice a day. I don't even water my cukes and 'maters twice a day in 95-degree heat. I didn't know sunflowers were so thirsty.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame Granjera :(

Mine are as tall as a Zigs, but my camera's not working at the moment :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I gave up on my sunflowers. They grew over 6 feet, but required too much water. The weather hadn't gotten hot yet, and I was watering them twice a day. I don't even water my cukes and 'maters twice a day in 95-degree heat. I didn't know sunflowers were so thirsty.

That must be why my soil for my sunflowers is always dry. I have to water mine every other day.

@Becky, My sunflowers didn't get taller than 4 feet. I'll save you the trouble and drop out. I just wanted an excuse to plant sunflowers. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Don't do that! As the person running the competition, I'm just joining in for fun ;)

Ok. But there's no chance I'm going to win. I can still update this thread with my sunflowers if you'd like. :)

I am, i'm as tall as them too :D

Ohhhhh. I got confused because you refereed yourself in 3rd person. I thought maybe a group of people were using your account.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. But there's no chance I'm going to win. I can still update this thread with my sunflowers if you'd like. :)

Ohhhhh. I got confused because you refereed yourself in 3rd person. I thought maybe a group of people were using your account.

That's just my English sense of humour :)

You carry on posting your pics, you never know, ours might be attacked by a madwoman with a scythe before they flower :eek:

Ask a Question